Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-06-2003, 07:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rectangle Triggerfish

I have a 92gal corner tank that is for triggerfish. I currently have a Niger and Pineapple Trigger in there right now and was wondering if I can put a Rectangle Trigger in with them? I have heard conflicting stories about them, one being that they are as "harmless" as a Niger and also that they are as mean as a Clown Trigger and do not do well with other triggers. Any experience or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yes I have a lot of experience with them. They are in the family of Rhinecanthus sp. The family consists of the Huma Huma, Bursa, Assasi triggerfish.

It really depends with the individual personality in that fish, but my experience with that family is they do rather well with other triggerfish.

Advice: Get them small first, juveniles don't tend to be as territorial as adult triggerfish. Here's a trick, every time you add a triggerfish to other triggerfish, make sure you rearrange your live rock or decorations that you have in the tank.
In my experience have had very little fighting, but once I changed the rocks around the only thing I had to worry about was if I wanted to add a different kind of fish. In the wild triggers are not pack hunters but in my tank they worked as a team. They killed an adult rockmover wrasse and a Sohal surgeonfish that really sucked but I still wouldn't give the triggers up for nothing I just don't add other fish but triggers.

They are extrodanary fish with a lot of beauty and hardiness.

Hope this helps.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh I forgot to mention.

Depending where you live, you may not be able to purchase this Rectangular Triggerfish.

It is the Hawaii state fish and is illegal to keep without a permit.

That is one of the reasons why it commands a higher price in some places, but if you order on the internet you can get it a lot cheaper.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:18 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks for your help. This does help a lot. I got him at my LFS for 29.00. He is still a juvenile. All the triggers are. The Pineapple is a little bigger and does not like him coming around his hole but doesn't really snap or anything at him. He just runs the Rectangle out of the area. Luckily I just purchased 45 more lbs (I only have about 30lbs right now) of LR to go in the tank and will probably going to be rearranging the rock after it cures for about another week. I just introduced him yesterday.

Tags
tan, tang, triggerfish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com