Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
According to the "Hydor" post, that appeared at the same general time, it's all taken care of

Old 04-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindskate View Post
i got the water tested and i was told to put phosphate in my filter to bring down my nitrates. but he said my ammonia was real low and my ntirates kinda high...
Just to reiterate what was already said, I'm guessing they told you to put a phosphate REMOVER in your filter. Not only do you want to remove phosphates, I've never seen anything on the market that would put phosphates back in! Maybe that's a desirable thing with freshwater, but it's not in saltwater. (I'm not a freshwater person, so I have no clue about "the other side.") Phosphate removers will remove phosphates but will do nothing for nitrates. The only good way to reduce your nitrates is by doing partial water changes.

Kinda strange comment they made about your ammonia, if that's what they said. You want "real low" ammonia... like 0.0 ppm! Any ammonia is too much.

Excess phosphates and nitrates will fuel cyano, but it sounds like with the additional circulation you're getting that under control.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:07 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Scott, thanks for the short answer. It amazes me how childish some people are when they come here looking for a quick answer, but know nothing about their tank or its inhabitants, and refuse to do even basic research. How did they find AA in the first place?
When I first started I thought keeping fish anybody could do it how hard could it be. I thought it was as simple as putting water in a tank and adding fish. That I didn't need to know anything and I knew everything. I thought people who spent too much time on their fish tanks were a bunch of geeks. Then I had some problems with my freshwater setup several problems. It got frustrating and expensive Luckily I am the type of person that likes to find the answers to every problem Mainly the Why behind things? So I bought the book The simple guide to the freshwater aquarium. Then I realized there was so much to learn. I was hooked thirsting for knowledge. After a while of keeping cichlids I got bored and loved the look of saltwater creatures. So I decided to go Saltwater then found this site. The obsession began. There is something to learn everyday. NOW I AM THE FISH GEEK. LOL

FijiWigi_Tank_photos
120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
LOL! I agree, I was there at one time too! Lucky for me and my critters I found this site (the first forum I found and ever used).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 01:16 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Freak

LOL i started WANTING to be the geek and making sure my tank could kick the most possible BUTT haha. It is hard even when you are getting great advice and you are researching all the stuff you should do. I still am battling hair algae and have some problems but my setup is on the upswing!

Being the "geek" definitely helps a lot!
Old 04-08-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
i think i might of been saying it wrong. ill see what the box said and tell u, i guess it wasnt phospahte. it was a bag of white pebbles that they told me to put in my filter. i feel stupid now, u guys really make me feel dumb. lol...w/e it is, i assure you my fish are fine, i just have the cyano problem. that's all. i have books and i read and i aprpeciate everyone's help, believe me, i tell all my fish friends about this site. thank you, i have really no ammonia the guy said and my ph is perfect and everything else, just ciphoning my tank and getting rid of the "red slime". i will get back to everyone on whatever i was told to put in my filter...(white pebbles in a bag). thanks.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by fijiwigi View Post
It got frustrating and expensive Luckily I am the type of person that likes to find the answers to every problem Mainly the Why behind things?
Exactly my problem, if it is a problem and not a virtue. It's why every answer to one question leads to two more questions. It's like one step forward and two steps backwards: the more I learn the more I want to know.

I will admit though, I too find myself just wanting a simple answer sometimes when there is not one. I just want to know for sure that I'm doing it "right" when there are really several ways to do it or no one single "right way". In this hobby in particular there seem to be many different ways that people do things or approach an issue. Gleaning the common denominator amongst all of them can be tough, but I've found judging people's advice by the pictures of the tanks they keep is a good litmus test. The stunningly beautiful tanks kept by many AA members are not there because they just got lucky.

Quote:
i feel stupid now, u guys really make me feel dumb. lol...w/e it is, i assure you my fish are fine, i just have the cyano problem. that's all. i have books and i read and i aprpeciate everyone's help, believe me, i tell all my fish friends about this site.
OH no! Don't feel stupid, the ones who should feel dumb are the people who don't bother to ask at all!

I bet the bag is crushed coral or ceramic pebbles to help give the nitrifying bacteria some surface area to grow on.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
yea, theyre tanks are awesome. my fish are great but making my tank more high tech in time, theyre just so pretty. sometimes i want a quick fix and easy answer, but PITT24DUDE. thanks for answering nicely, atleast u know where im coming from. ive had my 20 for 6 months now and no problems, its great. just recently the cyano problem. but i notice that almost everyone does somethign different, theyre is no right way. 50% of my customers at work tell me its easier to go big for salt and te others say small is better. who knows, every experience is personel i guess. thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2008, 02:39 PM   #29
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I doubt it would be CC for phosphate removal. I know phosban is brown. Not sure about Rowaphos (sp?). It may even be purigen, but that is not for phosphate removal.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
50% of my customers at work tell me its easier to go big for salt and te others say small is better. who knows, every experience is personel i guess. thanks guys.
I just started a 30 and I wouldve started a 50 if i had to do it again. I found the tank in someones trash so I can't complain. But ifyou have the choice - try to estimate what you want to keep and the limitations a smaller setup will impose on you. Good luck!

Tags
algae, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com