Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-08-2008, 02:47 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pitt420dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
I doubt it would be CC for phosphate removal. I know phosban is brown. Not sure about Rowaphos (sp?). It may even be purigen, but that is not for phosphate removal.
Ceramic? I'm not a saltie so really have no clue, I'm just trying ot think of all the filter additives I've seen and the only two that come to mind are crushed coral and ceramic, though I've never seen any in the form of pebbles. I've seen thick sand for CC and rings for ceramic, but never pebbles.

LOOK! A NEW LEAF!!!!!
pitt420dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 02:50 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Location: Tired of the mod power plays; gone to another forum
If it was for phosphates it's probably some GFO product though from the description it sounds like Purigen

Old 04-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Seachem's phosphate remover (Phosguard) is little white spheres. It's an aluminum based product. Phosban and the others are rust colored granules and is ferric oxide based. Aluminum based removers can cause issues with *some* soft corals - the one that comes to mind is clauvaria.
Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

While I agree that there are no quick fixes in this hobby I do swear by one product, the only product other than water conditioner and calcium suppliment that I have used and that is Red Slime Remover. Red Slime Remover | Pet Solutions This stuff works, Cyano is hard to get rid of, I did **** near daily water changes for weeks while continually manually removing the stuff and I seemed to make no ground. One dose of this product and the Cyano is gone for good guarenteed. I suffered no ill effects to my tank, I havent lost any fish, I still have my snails as far as I can tell. I swear by this product.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to blindskate
it was purigen!! thats it, haha
Old 04-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yea...the white pebbles was purigen I put in my filter. And my manager told me to use the red slime remover, so I'm buying that next. He says he used it on his 250gal and its' all gone. so I trust him, hes been a salt guy for over 20 yrs. the purigen helped balance everything out thanks.

Old 04-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #37
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Purigen will not absorb phosphates. It does absorb ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. You can also recharge it every 2-4 months, depending on your bioload.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 01:04 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Activist

im all confused. whatever he gave me was right becuase i got my water tested and its perfect. so maybe i dd have high nitrates and low something else. dont know, but its all good now.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:52 PM   #39
AA Team Emeritus

You should consider buying some quality test kits so you can test for your self on a regular (weekly) basis. Then you will know the 'real' numbers of your water parameters and can prevent a catastrophe that causes you to lose all your livestock.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:35 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
Purigen will not absorb phosphates. It does absorb ammonia, nitrItes and nitrAtes. You can also recharge it every 2-4 months, depending on your bioload.
And actually, Purigen doesn't even claim to absorb ammonia/nitrites/nitrates. In other words, if you put it in a tank full of nitrates, it won't remove them. It definitely has no effect on phosphates.

What Seachem does claim though is that it removes the "precursors" to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. So if you use it continuously in your tank, like carbon, it will keep your nitrate levels low because it will absorb stuff before it can get to that point. It obviously doesn't remove everything because then your bacteria would starve.

I've used Purigen for about a year now and am happy with it. But it won't remove phosphates or existing nitrates.

Agree with cmor... get your own test kits and start doing your own tests so you can understand for yourself your water quality, and then decide what to do about it. In this hobby, if you ask three different people the same question, you'll probably get four different answers! And that does nothing but confuse the heck out of you!

Tags
algae, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com