Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-25-2004, 10:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via ICQ to RubixCube Send a message via MSN to RubixCube
Red Algae

I have had my tank set up for about 5 months now and im getting the red algae on everything. What is on the go with that? I have a theory. When i first set up the tank I bought a diatom filter. I used to have it running all the time until here recently. I was thinking that the diatom may have been filtering out the necessary bacteria to enable the tank to go through the "algae blooms". Is the tank too clean? A Diatom filter will filter out even the smallest of particles. Does this make sense

Old 04-25-2004, 04:34 PM   #2
steve-s

It is more than possible to have a sterile tank. I have never been an advocate of immaculate tanks just clean ones The diatom filter may be removing the food sources if run too often and reducing beneficial bacteria. They should not be used continuously. Once a week at most to polish the water would be better (or even 2x monthly).

In this case I do not think that will be the issue. Bacteria does have an effect on the overall health which reduces the organics in the tank but will not really be the direct cause. If this is cyano, your main concern will be PO4. Often introduced through unpurified water or foods.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 01:11 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

i do have some PO4 alright. What is the best way to get rid of it?
Old 04-26-2004, 01:28 AM   #4
steve-s

Best way to get rid of it is with a granular PO4 sponge and increased water changes with RO water. The next step is to determine how it got there. As long as you keep introducing the PO4, the algae problems will keep coming back.

What is your water source and what foods/additives are you using?

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 10:01 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had an unfortunate mauling of my Xenia and it too a few days to die off before I gave up hope and cut the bad part off. After that I have had a great deal of algea, some green and some cyano, where before there was very little. Could this decay do this to a 60 gallon tank? Thanks.
Old 04-26-2004, 11:26 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManMac
Could this decay do this to a 60 gallon tank?
Depends on how much die off there was from the Xenia. If large enough there could be some contribution. I would also suggest the likelyhood that whatever caused your algae issue may have been the catalyst for the Xenia problem...

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 01:46 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

i think i may be getting the PO4 from over feeding. I have an internal overflow box with a skimmer built in. Food has a tendancy to catch in the overflow and stay there. I cleaned it out lastnight and found alot of old rotting food and debris. Ill see if there is any difference now. I also did a water change lastnight too.
Old 04-26-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
steve-s

Watch the ingredient list on dried foods when possible. Many will contain L-Ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate which is in most prefab animal foods (fish or otherwise) as a vitamin C source. It will also contribute to PO4 issues.

Cheers
Steve
Old 04-26-2004, 11:22 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually, the downfall of my Xenia was my Blue Regal Tang. He took a few nips and did some real damage.

Tags
algae, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com