red algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bad! I don't think they serve any purpose other than maybe a food source for herbivores.

Hard to tell from the pic but doesn't look like any macro I'm familiar with. Probably bad.

Looked like slime which is actually a cytobactria I hope someone with more exp chimes in cause u can siphon out or let it run its course, die, then siphon it lol just my opinion u might have excess nutrients

Looks like cyno to me which is not good siphon it out like it was suggested above or it will get all over the place. Usually caused by high nitrates and phosphates. What are your parameters. Watch overfeeding, water changes, clean filter pad do you have a skimmer.

Here's a better pic.

ForumRunner_20130108_172529.jpg

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130108_172552.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130108_172552.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20130108_172613.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130108_172613.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 121
I think you mean cyano bacteria and it isn't that.
Have you felt it?
If its feels furry its red turf algae and is extremely hard to get rid of it once it starts to spread, I am batteling it now and only just winning the battle after around a month. Remove the rock with the worst of it on immediatly , it took over my tank in no time and started to smother corals.
Google red turf algae and you will see, it is a very hard algae to get rid of and is one of the worst algaes that can pop up in our systems.

I'm battling the same the right now. It's slime algae. Siphon it out every time you do a water change. And patience. It isn't going away over night. I'm on week three. It's doing a lot better now. I took a picture. It looks the same.

image-1809354550.jpg

image-3678135573.jpg

Looks like early stage cyanobacteria outbreak to me. Check your nitrate and phosphate levels.

That's what I meant to say in my post was cyano. I don't know why slime came out. I'm happy I finally have mine under control. I figure another week or two and it should be all gone. My coralline algae had started flourishing over the last week also.

Thanks for your help guys, I've googled red turf and cyanide algae. IM not sure that mine looks like either of the two. It's not slimey and it isn't growing long either.
Strange, I don't mind it at the minute as long as it don't take over my tank.

If you can easily wipe it off, it's cyanobacteria. Reduce your feedings and up your water changes, siphoning out whatever you see with each change. If it's cyanobacteria, it will become a nuisance if it isn't already.

+1 on coraline. now...I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination but if it is coraline it is a good thing. is it hard or slimy?

Back
Top Bottom