Red Algae growing on my Coralline algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gvillboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any idea what this is? I don't think it's red slim! Someone please help! It's starting to take over and I want to nip it in the bud!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_192303.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_192303.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 120
  • ForumRunner_20130827_192325.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_192325.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 110
Any idea anyone?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_192508.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_192508.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 97
How do I get rid of it as well?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130827_192619.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130827_192619.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 81
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you want to kill off the pretty red algae that's covering up the purple algae that you are overwhelmed with? What is the texture? Is it soft or hard like coralline? If it's hard like coralline, it's coralline. It does come in many colors.

It's kinda like a fuzz that grows over the Purple Coralline Algae. It's easy to come off. I just scratched it with my finger nail and it came right off..... But it's starting to spread to all my rock and I'm getting nervous cause I don't want it to completely take over!

If it's fuzz, then it's not cyano. Cyano is slimy. It could be what people call "red turf" algae.

So I did some research on this stuff and this is not it either. Red turf seems to be like a long hair algae or something. If that makes any sense. Lol What I have is like a very low fuzz. It spreads over the purple cora algae. I can try and post a better picture if it will help.

"Red turf" is like saying "hair algae". These are very broad terms covering a lot of different variations.

"Red turf" is like saying "hair algae". These are very broad terms covering a lot of different variations.

Ok cool now that I have a good idea of what is...finding something to get rid of it...is my next problem! I seen online Halloween crabs eat it, as well as Cyano bacteria. Any suggestion?

I doubt a crab will eat cyano. I would try a turbo snail before that (for the turf algae....not cyano).

Ok, thanks for the info, I appreciate it. I will try and add two today and see how it goes! Will keep you posted.

Back
Top Bottom