Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2002, 07:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Red Algae Problem . * Warning ! Large Pictures !! *

Can someone giva advice on how to combat this algae problem ? Thanks..

Old 10-07-2002, 09:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to SleeplessLwd
I used a product called Red Slime
It's made by UltraLife Reef Products
Their Address Is: PO Box 431
Derby, CT 06418
I purchased it originally in North Plainfield, NJ in a store called Ocean Galleries, but I think Dr Fosters & Smith (petwarehouse) also sells it.
Good Luck. It worked for me, I hope it can help you.

Old 10-07-2002, 10:12 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
what kind of flow rates do you have in those specific areas?

It looks like the kind of algae that grows best in lower flow areas. If you can increase the flow rate in that area it might go away.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 10:44 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Bang Guy
Flow rate is an excellent point. In addition, Cyanobacter is normally a clear sign of excess nutrients. If the tank just finished cycling then excess nutrients are expected. If it's about a year old this sometimes happens. I'm not sure why

Siphoning out as much as possible during a water change helps a lot. Feeding less is usually the long term answer.
Old 10-07-2002, 10:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

What was the price you remember paying ? I have a 125 gallon tank, how much do you think it'll set me back ? I can add waterflow to that lower area, but I'm also getting the slime on the rocks and other corals where the waterflow is good..
Old 10-07-2002, 11:14 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

I haven't seen the pics (they are way to large, I'm on dial up), but from the replys I am assuming it is cyanobacteria. DO NOT use the Red Slime Alge Remover in your tank. It will cause you more problems in the future than it will solve. The short term will be great with this product, but the long term will mean more nutrients and more algae, as well as the possibility of killing off your nitrifying bacteria, the product is an antibiotic! In this thread there is some info that will help you combat many different forms of algae, including cyanobacter, without the use of chemicals.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 11:31 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
PHotos have been resized. There are still many photos that basicly make this thread almost 1MB in download size so I am leaving the Large photo warning.

JOSCAR, there is no problem with you attaching photos but I do ask that if you could resize them to 80600 or so prior to uploading them that would be great. It both makes the images MUCH easier to see on the screen vs having to scroll up and down and left and right but also allows those on dialup an opertunity to view the photos on the thread more easily.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 10-08-2002, 12:39 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Np
Old 10-08-2002, 09:33 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I must say aside from your red slime algae issue your tank is very nice looking.

Old 10-08-2002, 02:17 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
i had the same red algae problem. My local livestock store recommended adding more blue light to my tank. so i just put a 48" regular fluresent (SP) fixture on my 75 with a actnic bulb in i and within a month i had absolutly no red slime and still havent for over six months. Plus i liked how it enhanced the color in my tank. It complimented my pc setup very well.

Tags
algae, pictures, red algae

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com