Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Red Blood Shrimp

I added the above to my tank 5 days ago (10G nano, slow acclimate over 2 hours), but he just hides behind the same rock all day, clinging upside down on it.

He sometimes comes out for a couple of minutes at a time late at night, but I barely see him. So, consequently I'm worried he's not getting enough/any food.

Should I target feed him? And what can I do to encourage him to not hide as much?!

Old 10-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
what else is in the tank?

Old 10-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

From what I've heard this is what they do. I have a couple of Shrimp (peppermints) and they only come out to feed during the day. At night they come out with all the other night crawlers . I've read that this is the same for the blood shrimps. As Hara has asked, what else do you have in the tank?
Old 10-30-2007, 01:11 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Mark, can you update "my profile" with your tank specs, critters and such we will be more able to help you.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Individually, they are shy. Sounds about right to me. What do you feed your critters? I like to drop a few pellets of food from time to time. He'll find'm.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 04:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've got an Ocellaris clown (wild caught) and a magenta dotty back (strawberry gramma). Also 2 red hermit crabs, 2 blue, and 2 turbo snails.

I know that the dottyback can cause problems for shrimp, but I put the shrimp in first, and I've been watching them closely. Even when the shrimp comes out, the dottyback doesn't go for him or anything.

I don't specifically feed my crabs/shrimp, but I'll get some pellet food so it can lie on the bottom - good idea!

I'll update my profile now
Old 10-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It doesn't have to be pellets. My shrimp eat practically anything I put in the tank as long as they can get to it. I feed pellets once or twice a week, flakes once a week, and a mixture of different fish/shrimp/scallops every other day. When it hits the sand they make a b-line to it and pull it back to their cave.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to usmcmarc Send a message via MSN to usmcmarc Send a message via Yahoo to usmcmarc
I have 3 fire shrimp. They hide for days at a time, and then hang out other times. One of them remained hidden for 2 months, now he's out all the time. Just give it time.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:43 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I use a gel based food for my bottom dwellers, so it sinks, but they will be able to get the other food the fish miss.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate it.

I think I'll give the pellets a go, as they'll sink, and I can target them to the general area the shrimp currently stays in.

As I've got a nano, I'm very careful with feeding, so only feed very lightly twice a day, basically enough for a couple of mouthfuls for each fish, so there's no/little food that the fish "miss".

Tags
blood, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com