Red Blood Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkW19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I added the above to my tank 5 days ago (10G nano, slow acclimate over 2 hours), but he just hides behind the same rock all day, clinging upside down on it.

He sometimes comes out for a couple of minutes at a time late at night, but I barely see him. So, consequently I'm worried he's not getting enough/any food.

Should I target feed him? And what can I do to encourage him to not hide as much?!

From what I've heard this is what they do. I have a couple of Shrimp (peppermints) and they only come out to feed during the day. At night they come out with all the other night crawlers :). I've read that this is the same for the blood shrimps. As Hara has asked, what else do you have in the tank?

Mark, can you update "my profile" with your tank specs, critters and such we will be more able to help you.

Individually, they are shy. Sounds about right to me. What do you feed your critters? I like to drop a few pellets of food from time to time. He'll find'm.

I've got an Ocellaris clown (wild caught) and a magenta dotty back (strawberry gramma). Also 2 red hermit crabs, 2 blue, and 2 turbo snails.

I know that the dottyback can cause problems for shrimp, but I put the shrimp in first, and I've been watching them closely. Even when the shrimp comes out, the dottyback doesn't go for him or anything.

I don't specifically feed my crabs/shrimp, but I'll get some pellet food so it can lie on the bottom - good idea!

I'll update my profile now :)

It doesn't have to be pellets. My shrimp eat practically anything I put in the tank as long as they can get to it. I feed pellets once or twice a week, flakes once a week, and a mixture of different fish/shrimp/scallops every other day. When it hits the sand they make a b-line to it and pull it back to their cave.

I have 3 fire shrimp. They hide for days at a time, and then hang out other times. One of them remained hidden for 2 months, now he's out all the time. Just give it time.

I use a gel based food for my bottom dwellers, so it sinks, but they will be able to get the other food the fish miss.

Thanks for all the responses guys, really appreciate it.

I think I'll give the pellets a go, as they'll sink, and I can target them to the general area the shrimp currently stays in.

As I've got a nano, I'm very careful with feeding, so only feed very lightly twice a day, basically enough for a couple of mouthfuls for each fish, so there's no/little food that the fish "miss".

I have one in my tank and all it does is hide also. Yours is just doing what they do best.

melosu58 said:
I have one in my tank and all it does is hide also. Yours is just doing what they do best.

Fair enough :p

I had 3 before in my old tank, and they were out all the time. Luck of the draw I guess...

I'll drop some pellets in there a couple of times a week. Just normal tropical/marine pellets? Will the hermits get them too? I'll break them up or something.

Back
Top Bottom