red hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sflyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i doing a 1/3 water change and will check water phosphate and now what will eat this stuff....help

switch the lights off for a week, and do two 25% water changes during the week. Clean out any power filters or canister filters and change the carbon with each water change. worked for me.

sflyfish said:
i doing a 1/3 water change and will check water phosphate and now what will eat this stuff....help

That's a good start. Do them frequently and post your test results. I don't know of an animal that is guaranteed to eat red hair algae.

Check the nitrates and phosphates.. The algae is feeding off of something in the water so you need to track down what it is a remove it..
Test your top off water also for these..

My nitrates are low around 5...i have been running with out light and this is starting to work well....i went to my local Lfs and they didn't po4 test kit but i will go to one i know has them about 5 miles farther (a pain to get to)lol....Got my first fish last nite. My tank finish it's cycle about 8 days ago

I just tested for po4 with a hagen test kit...0 on results....i had some poor lights running now i have 265 watt for 50 gallon..would poor lights on lr create hair algae because i got new lights friday

sflyfish, I'm having the same problem. 0 po4, low no3 (15 ppm), I feed very little every other day and STILL, hair algae! My lights are MH (350w in a 55 gal) for 5 1/2 hours and 64w of actinics for 2 1/2 hours before and after.

What's up with that? Let me know how your approach works. I'm reluctant to go without lights since I have a few nice corals.

I,ve cleaned my hob filter and both powerheads and do water changing everyday...about 8 gal.....the lr that had the red hair on it must have come from lfs when i bought it (about a week before)....it's almost all gone now...i,m not sure if that helps you any but thank you all for your input..lol now i,m getting some bubble algea..guess i need more cleaners...i really do enjoy my new tank

Back
Top Bottom