Red Hair or Cyano??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calqless

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am trying to figure out what this Algae is.

65g been up and since the first of the year, 2.5 weeks ago i put in a CuC of snails
1 week ago i put in 2 ocellaris clownfish. feed them everyother day 2 pellets for each fish.
ammonia = 0 (0)
nitrite = 0 (0)
nitrate = 20 (40)
pH = 8.2 (8.4)
kH = (7)
Phosphate = .25 (.25)
salinity = 1.024 (1.022)

numbers in paranthesis are from LFS that tested my water after i did. I like to get a second opinion, since it seems to be based on comparing colors.

the first pic is what it looked like at noonish, the second is 3, 3.5 hrs later doesnt seem "hairy" more slimey, but idk.

I am about to do a PWC then ill se what it looks like in the morning

Attachments

• red algae 2.jpg
    red algae 2.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 116
  • red algae.jpg
    red algae.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 165
Thought so but it was fuzzy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi there
Nine times out of 10 it is usually caused by high nutrients of a lack of circulation causing ,try increasing the circulation in your tank just siphon off what you already have and with the extra circulation hopefully will prevent it from coming back good luck

Red cyanos... Scrub with cheap new toothbrush while you water change... Try increase water circulation...

Your nitrate and phosphate are both high as well, and this is probably what's fueling it. Are you running any media and using ro/di water? I would increase wc's ( both frequency and volume ) until you get your params in check

I am using Ro/di water (bought one just for this tank), i hadnt been using any media (just skimmer,LS and LR),but i will be running some media,I put some cheato in my Sump with LR chunks also. I was planning on doing anbother WC tonite, after i go pay a ticket and get tags (a year behind WOWZERS) I bought some API Phos-Zorb, and some Fluval Clearmax, i was going to basically drop them in the filter sock so water would run thru it first, I also have CArbon but no bag to put it in.

Did a 33% water change yesterday (2 wc ack to back) today I switched out a 600gph fow a 1250gph, that plus the 850 (2100gph flow total) hopefully will help.

Did a 33% water change yesterday (2 wc ack to back) today I switched out a 600gph fow a 1250gph, that plus the 850 (2100gph flow total) hopefully will help.

Should help keep it from spreading any further.

How often do you feed, and how much? I feed 3x a week, and each fish gets 1-2 mysis shrimp. All are fat and happy...

Any food that makes it to the bottom of the tank turns into algae fodder and will fuel the growth. If you can't get it under control by siphoning it out, do a few large water changes (40-50%) back to back to lower those nitrate and phosphate levels. Suck out the algae while you're doing it, then just keep an eye on the tank.

ATM i only have the 2 clowns, so i only drop 2 pellets per fish and i try to drop close to them, and drop one wait til they get it then drop another.

How often do you feed? Clowns are good w/ 2-3x a week (mine get fed Mon, Weds, and Friday).

Back
Top Bottom