Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-07-2003, 09:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Red Legged Hermits crashing around

I have about 40 red legged hermits in a 55 sw. Tonight I heard a lot of tapping, and saw two of these guys crashing around. The slightly bigger one will lock shells and repeatedly smack the ohter guys shell into his, wham wham wham! Then he'll pull the little guy out, go into his shell, and start inspecting his own empty shell by rolling it around, while the naked little #2 crab rides around helplessly on bigger guy's shell. Bigger guy won't let slightly smaller guy back in wither shell, he just keeps swapping back and forth, back and forth. I was just wondering if this jackhammering act was something they do when they want to blast another crab out of a shell. 8O

Old 10-07-2003, 11:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
there just little theives, i think they live to steal shells.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2003, 12:38 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReefRaff
there just little theives, i think they live to steal shells.
lol My bro brought some saltwater crabs home from the NJ beach and the entire way home they kept grabbing each other by the head and yanking each other out of their shells, they just kept switching and switching shells.
Old 10-08-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the replies. That's what these guys are doing, swapping shells back and forth and getting rowdy. I'm going to try to find a bunch of empty little shells to throw in there so they can have a better choice.
I also noticed a 5 or 6 crab gang-fight, and some of them grab a rock and jam it into the entrance of their own shell to "block" the intruding crabs. Crazy Crabs!!!!

Tags
egg, hermit, hermits

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com