Red Legged Hermits crashing around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snapcrackler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have about 40 red legged hermits in a 55 sw. Tonight I heard a lot of tapping, and saw two of these guys crashing around. The slightly bigger one will lock shells and repeatedly smack the ohter guys shell into his, wham wham wham! Then he'll pull the little guy out, go into his shell, and start inspecting his own empty shell by rolling it around, while the naked little #2 crab rides around helplessly on bigger guy's shell. Bigger guy won't let slightly smaller guy back in wither shell, he just keeps swapping back and forth, back and forth. I was just wondering if this jackhammering act was something they do when they want to blast another crab out of a shell. 8O

ReefRaff said:
there just little theives, i think they live to steal shells.

lol :D My bro brought some saltwater crabs home from the NJ beach and the entire way home they kept grabbing each other by the head and yanking each other out of their shells, they just kept switching and switching shells.

Thanks for the replies. That's what these guys are doing, swapping shells back and forth and getting rowdy. I'm going to try to find a bunch of empty little shells to throw in there so they can have a better choice.
I also noticed a 5 or 6 crab gang-fight, and some of them grab a rock and jam it into the entrance of their own shell to "block" the intruding crabs. :D Crazy Crabs!!!!

Back
Top Bottom