Red legs vs. Blue legs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been trying to see which hermits are better for hair alge control and get a hundred different opinions on it so mi bow before the almighty A.A. :wink: Just wondering what everybody else thought about it.

I have some of both. The red legs (not to be confused with scarlet) seem to get bigger and be a little more aggressive towards each other. If I had a choice, I personally with stick with the blues only. They look nicer and the red legs aren't even really that red....more of a brown. I don't see see any difference as far as which eat more algae, but I don't have enough nusiance algae to keep them all fed so I may be looking to get rid of some of them.

Depending on if you have a setup fit to hold them, Lettuce Nudis will do some damage on hair algae. I enlisted two sallie lightfoot crabs in my reef and they mowed it over in 24 hours.

Didnt think about the sallys, thanks for the advice! I had a lettuce and loved him but my lfs hardly ever gets them in. I picked up a lawnmower blenny and he seems to be going to town on the alge!

I have both. The red legs are larger and seem to eat all of the time. However the reds are more aggressive - they eat my snails . I would personally stick with the blues.

My blues have gone after a few of my snails... It's amazing how quick some of them have grown.
Don't have any reds, so can't tell you much about them.

Back
Top Bottom