Red Mangrove Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

beachbumin

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is there a limit on how many mangrove stalks to use? Currently I have a 28 bowfront with a hob fuge and am adding a 10 gallon sump this weekend. There is a company on Ebay thats selling upwards of 20 stalks. I can make room in the hob fuge for pretty much all of it but I was wondering if there was anything detrimental about putting such a large amount of stalks into my tank. BTW if anybody wants to see ti the item number is 330039232412.

Cant help you much on them. I have a fuge but I think I think Calerpa is much easier if watched closely.

yeah im already running calerpa and cheato but I really like the mangrove stalks. I like the looks and it helps out filtering and hiding pods so thats always a plus!

I don't know about HOB for them. I remember reading that they grow very tall. But, I dont know a thing about them so I will leave it to the experts.

HOB for mangroves is not a good idea as they would out grow the HOB fuge. This is probably a better set up.
http://www.mangrovemania.com/mangrove_aquarium.html

There was a picture on the internet once of a guy who had a sump set up next to his tank with mangroves that were almost 3-4 feet tall. It looked pretty neat. If done right you can probably hide the set up to make it look like a potted plant and hide the lines going to and coming from the tank.

If you want to help in filtration, you'll need quite a few. Also, remember, they grow VERY slowly, and take in nutrients very little at a time. Make sure you take all dead leaves out, otherwise it'll just release a big supply of organics to fuel algae buildup and film on the top of your water.

Is there a limit? Not that I could say.

Mist down the leaves with fresh water daily. The leaves are the salt export system for the mangrove. If you don't keep the leaves clean, the build-up of minerals on the leaves will filter out the desired light, and result in the death of the specimen.
Not all of the stalks will survive, but you will need a larger body of water for them before too long!

Thanks guys! Now Ive got a head full of ideas!! I guess its pretty much between a few different setups in the new bottom sump/fug or try and get really creative and do the "potted plant" idea.

I've only seen a recommendation for 1 plant per 10 to 15 gallons minimum. I have no idea what an upper limit would be, other than to recommend an iron supplement if you go above that.

Back
Top Bottom