Red Plant Has Spread ALL Through Tank..Now an Eyesore (PICS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have enclosed a picture of a Nice Red Plant that grew in 1 spot from my Live Rock from LR.COM. It was a neat plant....nice and Red. Hermits would climb it. It was nice.

NOW I has invaded my ENTIRE TANK! It is growing ALL OVER my all of my Live Rock...Some has even attached itself and growing on my Power Heads!!! It is awful!!!

I have tried to remove some with tweezers...but it seems like the roots have embedded themselves deep the rock!

Does anyone have any idea on how to get rid of a plant like this??

Thanks!

Attachments

• red_plant.jpg
    red_plant.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 243
Wow I would like to have some of that red plant in my tank.......But if it has spead that bad I dont know how to get rid off it...sent some my way

Gotta tell ya it looks rather nice. Can you submit a pic of the whole tank though?

That is a very nice plant. Do you know what it is? Anyways, I would day grab a nice hold of them and give them a nice hard pull with your other hand supporting the rock that it is attached too. If that fails you can always cut them back to the base and just trim them when they get to large again.

It did look nice...when there was only 1 plant of it.

Tank is dark now...I will try to get a new picture tomorrow. It has been trimmed last week...so it does not look as bad as some weeks.

No takers on IDing the plant?? Is there Weed Remover for Reef tanks?

WC

I take it your lm blenny wants nothing to do with it?

as far as getting rid of it, manual removal, followed by total dark for a couple weeks may do it. I noticed there were no corals mentioned in
your tank inhabitants so you should be ok turning off the lights.

You might also want to give a call to whoever you got your liverock from, they are usually pretty good at knowing what types of life can be found on their rock.

It might be H. gibbesii if you bought your LR from the gulf coast... Looks puffy right? If not then it migt be a Gracilaria spp., but I doubt it because of its puffiness.
HTH

I'm a novice to this hobby but check out the branching foraminiferans. It could be one of those. I have a white one growing on my new rock but it's much smaller than yours. The red is quite beautiful....I would love a piece of that as well. :lol: Good luck.

It is nearly trimming time (has only been 3 weeks since the last trimming). I will post a picture of it taking over the tank. The only creatures that like it are the shrimps and hermits...I think food gets stuck in it and they eat it.

After I post the picture..and you are sure you want some plants. Send me your e-mail address and real address, and I will mail some out. I have no idea the price of shipping..but after I ship it...I will send you an e-mail with the amount and my paypal address. The Plants are very friable...so I will try to give everyone big peices and hope it does not break during shipping. Even broken..it still should grow. I will be shipping the plants in double wrapped plastic bags with damp newspapers to keep things moist and a small manilla evelope. I am thinking that First Class Mail..as it is not too cold anywhere at this point, should be fine.

I do not take any responsibility for "Red, Ravaging Sea Plant" and the spreading of it throughout your tank. Keep a close eye on it. If you just put it near some rock..it should take hold.

Good Luck!

WC

I have some Leathers, Buttons and Xenia for corals..so total darkness will not be an option...but it would have been a GREAT idea!

Thanks

WC

It looks like some form of Halimedea, but I could be mistaken. Also, it does seem to add alot of color to your tank, i wouldn't mind seein some in my tank either.

To everybody who has requested some of the Mystery Plant:

I have been working 80 hours this week at work as we are having a huge hospital wide computer conversion at my workplace. I will NOT be able to get any plants out until AFTER Oct 3rd, as I go to work before the post office opens, and I come home way after the post office has closed. I will be getting back to everyone who has PM'd after that date. Also...it will have to be "first come, first serve" basis, as I want to give everyone a good amount, and I have had about 10 requests at this point. For those people who do not get some this month..I will have plenty more next month.

Thanks for the understanding.

WC

Back
Top Bottom