Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-19-2004, 08:19 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to sumphead
IMHO the Berlin is just a notch above a SeaClone. While when set it can be productive (as the Clone can be too). But they are touchy. The Aqua C skimmers are good because they are simple and true plug and play. They are not the best skimmers on the market but for the price and reliability they are top notch. For a 33 gallon even with a sump the remora HOB or the urchin in sump model would be fine. A pro model can handle a 75 gallon with ease and depending on the bio load I would have no reservation about it going up to a 100 gallons. It has always been my stance that there is such a thing as over skimming and stripping the water of nutrients that are better served elsewhere (food for other critters).

sumphead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:34 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
Man, I swear I only read good things about them before I got mine

I got to get this thing modded I guess

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak
Originally Posted by vertex
What size of tank can the aqua C go up to. I realize its probably the best one since everyone here rants about it, but how big of tank is it effective with?
For Marine Tanks Sizes: 40 - 120 gallons.
IfoundNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 01:30 PM   #14
I would not run a standard remora on anyting bigger than a 45 and i would hold the pro to about 75 gallons. The manufacturers always inflate the ratings. These are from my experiances and feedback from alot of customers.
captivereefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2004, 11:38 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I agree with Darin on the Remora specs. Once you get into the Aqua C EV series though, the sky is the limit. The EV 400 is rated for up to a 600 gal tank although, again agreeing with Darin, I think most skimmers are overrated by the manuf.
As far as the Berlin Classic goes, it should have a Mag Drive pump...either a Mag 5 or 7. I believe the Turbo models are the ones that have pump problems. I have a Classic on a 180g using a Mag 7 and it has performed flawlessly for over a year. I never adjust it...all I ever do is clean it and empty the effluent container (1 gal jug). True, it's not a great skimmer, but it is a good one. Be careful not to overtighten the fitting that screws into the venturi as the skimmer body will crack easily in this area. Although I know a 180 is a bit much for this skimmer, so far it's been doing an acceptable job. As soon as I can get the customer to spend the money though, I'll probably upgrade the tank to an Aqua C EV 240 .
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.
Logan J
loganj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist
Thanks everyone for your comments... Sounds like this Berline will serve me just fine (or should I say my tank mates)... I will try to keep it somewhat low on the bubbling side as to not 'over' skim the small 33 gallon tank. It hasn't needed any adjustments to get a good consistent foam, as I don't have much bio load yet so it is nice and consistent.

Anyway, mine is running with a RIO-2100 so has good waterflow quite similar to the mag pumps. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!!!

vertex is offline   Reply With Quote

sea, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com