Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vertex

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi I'm new to saltwater and just starting my reef setup. I purchased a used Red Sea berlin classic skimmer and am using it on a 33 gallon tank (might enlarge this eventually) and am just wondering how good this skimmer is?

I have read a ton of articles here talking about getting a better skimmer but haven't found much on this one? I don't get much gunk out of it yet but also don't have hardly any bio load, so I am just wondering if this is a good skimmer for my system or not??

Thanks!

33gal salt
3" DSB aragonite
~15 lbs Live rock (for now!)
3 small power filters (cannister, PH, and HOB) for water circulation

There may be a few reasons you are not getting much skimmate.
1. the skimmer is new, and it needs to go thru the "break-in period"
2. The tank is new, so there is not much to pull out.
3. That skimmer is not the best one. (I have no experience with that skimmer, but have not heard anyone raving about it either)
All that said, you will probably be fine if you stock lightly. If you plan to upgrade in a year or so, stick with it til then.
Good luck

actually that's not a terrible skimmer (I've seen a Berlin on a 150gallon)...certainly not for a 33.
However darb is dead on:
1. this is a new tank, doesn't sound like there's any fish, so there's very little to skim
2. new skimmers do take some tweaking, and go through a few days of 'break in'

The skimmer will work fine. Not the most effecient model but it will dop the job. They are prone to pump failure though. Give it time to collect skimmate a new tank does not yield much in the way of skimmable compunds.

I am running a Berlin classic with a mag5 on my 75 gal. I have had issues with it pulling out water and overflowing after adjusting it. It can be very finiky. I don't adjust mine unless I see less skimmate being produced.

Works decent. I hope to have a friend modify it to work like a Aqua C EV series skimmer one day :)

Thanks everyone... ellisz, I am wondering what is there really to adjust... I mean you can change bubble quantity by the tube air intake but that is all isn't it?

What else can be adjusted with this or other skimmers? Don't you just let it go and empty the cup as needed?

What size of tank can the aqua C go up to. I realize its probably the best one since everyone here rants about it, but how big of tank is it effective with?

ellisz, I am wondering what is there really to adjust... I mean you can change bubble quantity by the tube air intake but that is all isn't it?

Yeah, you can only adjust the air intake screw. If you have it open to far, it will pull water out, if it is not open enough, it won't pull enough/anything. I have read that Berlin skimmers were finiky and needed a lot of adjustment but I don't mess with mine. I just make sure a good amount of bubbles it coming up the tube and that it is not real wet.

IMHO the Berlin is just a notch above a SeaClone. While when set it can be productive (as the Clone can be too). But they are touchy. The Aqua C skimmers are good because they are simple and true plug and play. They are not the best skimmers on the market but for the price and reliability they are top notch. For a 33 gallon even with a sump the remora HOB or the urchin in sump model would be fine. A pro model can handle a 75 gallon with ease and depending on the bio load I would have no reservation about it going up to a 100 gallons. It has always been my stance that there is such a thing as over skimming and stripping the water of nutrients that are better served elsewhere (food for other critters).

Man, I swear I only read good things about them before I got mine :(

I got to get this thing modded I guess :wink:

vertex said:
What size of tank can the aqua C go up to. I realize its probably the best one since everyone here rants about it, but how big of tank is it effective with?

For Marine Tanks Sizes: 40 - 120 gallons.

I would not run a standard remora on anyting bigger than a 45 and i would hold the pro to about 75 gallons. The manufacturers always inflate the ratings. These are from my experiances and feedback from alot of customers.

I agree with Darin on the Remora specs. Once you get into the Aqua C EV series though, the sky is the limit. The EV 400 is rated for up to a 600 gal tank although, again agreeing with Darin, I think most skimmers are overrated by the manuf.
As far as the Berlin Classic goes, it should have a Mag Drive pump...either a Mag 5 or 7. I believe the Turbo models are the ones that have pump problems. I have a Classic on a 180g using a Mag 7 and it has performed flawlessly for over a year. I never adjust it...all I ever do is clean it and empty the effluent container (1 gal jug). True, it's not a great skimmer, but it is a good one. Be careful not to overtighten the fitting that screws into the venturi as the skimmer body will crack easily in this area. Although I know a 180 is a bit much for this skimmer, so far it's been doing an acceptable job. As soon as I can get the customer to spend the money though, I'll probably upgrade the tank to an Aqua C EV 240 :mrgreen: .

Thanks everyone for your comments... Sounds like this Berline will serve me just fine (or should I say my tank mates)... I will try to keep it somewhat low on the bubbling side as to not 'over' skim the small 33 gallon tank. It hasn't needed any adjustments to get a good consistent foam, as I don't have much bio load yet so it is nice and consistent.

Anyway, mine is running with a RIO-2100 so has good waterflow quite similar to the mag pumps. Anyway, thanks for everyone's help!!!

Back
Top Bottom