Red Sea calcium test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
This calcium test kit, is giving me a real problem. if the directions are right, it should take about 9 drops total. To come up with a reading of 450ppm but i put in about 80 drops with no change. and i don't want to waste the whole bottle to not get a reading does anyone else use this test kit for calcium. Is it possible that the bottles are labeled wrong. It's not due to expire till next year. is it posible that i have no calcium in my tank. Even with weekly water changes(oceanic salt). Help me get a reading thanks

I have not used a redsea test in a while because the are not accurate. If I remember right you add a few drops of one bottle (larger) and swirl for 10 seconds or so then add a few drops of the second bottle and swirl. You then go back to the original (larger) bottle and drip until it changes color (counting your drops) Is this what you did. Get a salifert test :wink:

yeah that is what ive been doing and nothing happens is there any other thing besides the test kit and more along the line's of the tank. that could be wrong here

If you made your SW around 1.025 your CA has to be between 300-450ppm regardless of salt brand. I would say it is a test problem and not a tank problem. What is in the tank that you are testing CA for? I would start the test over and make sure you have the correct bottles. This is usually due to human error but not always. :wink:

I have a bubble coral open brain, sun polyps, torch, hammer. and some others can think about i think i just figured it out the bottle's where marked wrong. the big one was marked A and the little marked B. should be the other way around based on your first post

I remember it was a few drops of the bigger bottle, then a few drops of the smaller bottle, mix and wait, then you go back to the bigger bottle to finish drops until the color change. Sorry for the run-on. :) I have one at home but I am at the office.

yep, 4 from A. 5 from B and then add A until it changes to orange.

THis is the only test kit I have but it usually reads between 350 and 450.

I would try again and if it still does not work pitch it.
I'm on a few different forums and everybody uses salifert. Once my redsea is done thats what I'll be getting.

Hmm
I have a Red Sea calcium test kit, but mine has 3 reagents. You add A, then a scoop of B (powder), then add the C reagent until you get the color change and measure how much C that it took. Mine says it's a Calcium Pro kit. Maybe they screwed up and put bottles that go with my kit in your box?

I use the Red Sea calcium test, and it suxx! Brendan pretty much explained it in a nutshell, and he's right regarding false postives, most of the time it's user error. Check to make sure you're using the right bottle. Try to keep it in the 8-9 drop range (400-450ppm).

And yes, the nitrate test has 3 bottles and the phosphate test has 2. The other Red Sea calcium test kit thats uses powder is more accurate than the regular test kit, which is a big plus, but I don't know what ppm it measures too :?

Back
Top Bottom