Red sea coral pro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. D

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been using this salt for a month or more now and do 5 gallon water changes a week on my 100gl (total volume) system. Today I did a 10gallon water change at 1.025 and tested my water and had my LFS test it as well.

My calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity were HORRIBLE!!!

My level used to be low but decent considering I was using a "non reef salt" IO's regular stuff but today I got:

Calc: 280-300
Magnesium:1000
Alk: 5.6 dkh

Using both Red Sea at my house and the lfs API test kit. Keep in mind I mix the salt up before I put it in my RO water.

I am very disappointed with this salt and now am using C-Balance to level everything off.

I only have 2 LPS, 1 SPS, and a few zoas. All seem to still be growing but I am highly upset with Red Sea's product after all the GREAT reviews it received

I use this salt and it doesn't raise it drastically (I still have to dose), but it's strange how your levels are so low. What salt did you use before and were your levels different?

I've been using this salt for a month or more now and do 5 gallon water changes a week on my 100gl (total volume) system. Today I did a 10gallon water change at 1.025 and tested my water and had my LFS test it as well.

My calcium, magnesium, and alkalinity were HORRIBLE!!!

My level used to be low but decent considering I was using a "non reef salt" IO's regular stuff but today I got:

Calc: 280-300
Magnesium:1000
Alk: 5.6 dkh

Using both Red Sea at my house and the lfs API test kit. Keep in mind I mix the salt up before I put it in my RO water.

I am very disappointed with this salt and now am using C-Balance to level everything off.

I only have 2 LPS, 1 SPS, and a few zoas. All seem to still be growing but I am highly upset with Red Sea's product after all the GREAT reviews it received

Reefcrystals for me for 6 years now love it params on new saltwater are where i like them mag 1350 or better cal 420 alk 11-12

I use this salt and it doesn't raise it drastically (I still have to dose), but it's strange how your levels are so low. What salt did you use before and were your levels different?

I used the regular instant ocean, not the reef crystals.

My levels varied because I didn't dose until just now but they were around.

Calc: 350
Alk: 8
Mag: 1200

+1. I used to use the normal instant ocean, but had to keep dosing calcium and fighting with alk.
I switched to reef crystals and that solved everything. 440 calcium. 11 alk.
Reef crystals + rodi = perfect water everytime

What did you use to test your salinity? The numbers are balanced, but low, which could possibly indicate a low salinity level.

What did you use to test your salinity? The numbers are balanced, but low, which could possibly indicate a low salinity level.

I used my refractometer and my lfs's I had 1.025 they had 1.024

I'm a little frustrated because its not producing its claim so far but on the good side at least they are all "evenly low" and not one or the other

Today I tested this product using their own test kits and I found that their claims did not match what I've tested at least.

SG: 1.025
Calcium: 375ppm
Alk: 11.2 dkh
Mag: 1240ppm

The claim states:
At SG: 1.025
Calc: 455-475ppm
Alk: 12.3-12.7
Mag: 1360-1420

Back
Top Bottom