Red Sea Coral Pro Salt Mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I switched to it briefly but went back to instant ocean. I thought it would help keep my alkalinity up but it had the same effect that I/O did and it's more than regular reef crystals. i also found the red sea left more white residue in my garbage cans than the reef crystals. :)

I switched to it briefly but went back to instant ocean. I thought it would help keep my alkalinity up but it had the same effect that I/O did and it's more than regular reef crystals. i also found the red sea left more white residue in my garbage cans than the reef crystals. :)

You right IO is cheaper im prob gonna get that.

Just trying to figure out what the best salt is.
Here's a quote from Randy Holmes-Farley....
"I do not think there is a "best" salt mix. Nearly all of them will work fine as long as you know their pros and cons.
I don't want excessive borate, which leaves out Seachem.
I don't want vitamins or anything else organic in my mix (because I doubt their utility, they degrade with time to who knows what, bacteria may thrive on them as I store new salt water for a substantial period, they are totally undescribed with respect to amounts or identity, they are not naturally present in natural seawater at appreciable levels, and because I've occasionally had them mess with my skimmer), so that tosses out some like Reef Crystals, hW Marinemix Plus BioElements, Kent, Coralife, and Nutri-SeaWater.
I don't want excessive calcium (long term use of limewater as I use drives up calcium, so I do not want it starting high), so that tosses out a bunch, such as Kent, Seachem, Coralife and Oceanic.
There are certain companies that I will not support due to their misleading claims and/or product lines. That tosses out a few which I won't detail here since it is my personal thought as opposed to a specific issue with their salt mix.
I won't use certain lines of natural seawater due to excessive metals in it.
That only leaves a few to choose from, such as Instant Ocean and Tropic Marin Pro. The remaining ones might all be fine for me, but IO is lower in cost, especially if you get it when it goes on sale (which it frequently does). It also has a very long track record of success in many aquaria with relatively few concerning issues of bad batches."

I use red sea most of the time. Every so often I use the pro if my alk is down which it rarely is anyways. I like it because of the low alk because lots of additives have alk in it to raise it. But hands down instant ocean is the best and cheaper too. I work at my LFS and we have a deal with IO that we get our salt super cheap.

I've been using red sea pro salt for about a year now & used reef crystals before then. I love both products, but my corals defiantly grow faster with out a doubt with the red sea pro salt mix.

I was using Reef Crystals a few years ago i had algae issues and after doing research Reef Crystals has the highest levels of phosphates so i decided to try Red Sea Coral Pro been using it ever since! Find the salt that fits your needs

I've been using instant ocean and have just bought a bucket of red sea coral pro to hopefully raise my calcium and alk. I have only done a 20% water change with it so far so I don't know if I've had any results yet. :fingers crossed:

Ps I got the bucket cheaper than I'd been buying the IO for and shipped to my door from drs foster and smith.

Back
Top Bottom