Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

+1 carbon dosing.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Red Sea N03-P04 X

As to the OP's original question, yes I have experimented with the Red Sea product. I keep a bottle of it in case I have a phosphate spike. It does rapidly reduce DOC's but it is too expensive for me to use on a daily basis. My venture into carbon dosing (beads) seemed to grow Cyanobacteria as well as it did beneficial bacterial. I ended up just going thru my system and cleaning everything last time I saw phosphates creeping up. Got the protein skimmers tuned up and everything settled back down. I am going to investigate the Cyano/carbon connection, because I would like to use carbon dosing to help offset my generous feeding schedule.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have noticed a steady drastic decline in my nitrates ( haven't tested phos lately) I cannot totally attribute this to the N03-P04X because I have done 2 large water changes during this dosing process. However prior to beginning the dosing I had done 2 large back to back water changes and still had sky high trates. I have notice my skimmers making a lot more skimmate since beginning dosing. Also my water is the clearest it has ever been and my algae growth is next to nothing. Thoughts?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

That sounds right, carbon dosing creates a lot of skim. In fact one caution is you have to have your skimmer running in tip top condition while dosing.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

It caused a bacterial bloom in my system that took a few days and a lot of skimming to cleanup.i am most concerned about the bad bacterial it also promotes. I can defiantly see Cyano increase when carbon dosing. And it can even increase bacterial infections your fish have to fight off. I doubt I will ever carbon dose again unless it's an emergency. I also run three skimmers, so removing it isn't a big deal, but still takes a few days.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow 3 skimmers you must have a huge tank or bio - load. I have a 125g and have been battling nitrates that were literally off the charts since it's beginning. I have backed off the dosing since my last water change which brought them to 40ppm. I'm going to do another large one today and see where I end up. What would you recommend as a weekly/bi - weekly amount to change once the trates are under control? Also I plan on going reef with this tank what are good levels for all params if I plan to keep a mixed bag of all type of corsls?
Old 01-25-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Zero on all parameters for coral, a reading of about .05ppm on phosphates. Do you grow algae for nitrogen export? That might help a lot and it has no side effects like dosing has.

I skim the heck out of this 450 gallon system.
Old 01-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Oh wow 450g that would be awesome. I do have a softball size ball of chaeto and am deciding what else to grow. What should my calcium be at for good corraline/ coral growgh?
Old 01-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Over 400
Old 02-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Red Sea N03-P04 X

Okay, I just finished 2 weeks where I tested this stuff. Smells like floor cleaner. Dosed as recommended , cranked up the skimmers and the following happened:

First day before dosing Phosphates at 2.00ppm. I had gotten lazy and was feeding heavy, so time to see how this works.

Added recommended dose. 24 hours no visible change but the protein skimmers are pulling up stuff. Nasty stuff.

Second day, added reduced dose, no visible change, but the skimmers are now running bonkers.

Third day, added reduced dose. Oops, the tank goes cloudy with a bacteria bloom. Watched oxygen levels (redox) and fish, no sign of discomfort, so let the skimmers do their work and next day was crystal clear. Phosphates went to .04ppm. Pretty effective! Tank has stayed stable at .07 ppm for a week with no follow up dosing. Making me reconsider some vodka dosing.

Over that week a 500 gallon system generated almost 5 gallons of wet skim mate.

Tags
red, sea

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com