Red Sea N03-P04 X

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys, well after battling high nitrates since the inception of my tank I have decided to try dosing this stuff. I have done several 40% water changes without making a dent. On my API test kit they read blood red which is like 160ppm and my seachem kit reads off the chart as well. So I have been searching for any other method I could try to get them to manageable levels and came across this stuff. Does anyone have experience with it and can give any advice?:thanks:

Are you using RODI water? What are you feeding? How long has the tank been setup and what is in it? Chemical means to remove NO3/PO4 are usually not advisable. They may work for a time, but are masking the symptoms of a larger problem.

I am using RODI. I feed a mixture of different foods every other day. System has been up for about 6 months roughly 150-200lb. LR 80 lbs live sand. 5 fish some hermits and snails. My readings are all spot on except for nitrates I run an oversized skimmer and use a refugium at this point I'm willing to try anything. I cannot figure this out there is really no source for this high of readings.

Is your rodi checking at 0TDS? It sounds like you need to cut back on feeding. Perhaps add some macro algae to help absorb some of the nitrates for you.

What are you feeding? The commercial frozen foods include stuff that can raise phosphate. Over feeding leads to food breaking down in the tank if it's not caught by a filter sock or skimmer. How's the flow?

I feed every other day one cube, I do not have a TDS meter yet I need one I know, and I do run a ball of chaeto in the sump a little bigger than a softball. I've tried it all guys I'm really at a loss that's why I'm gonna try dosing

One cube is a lot of food. Even for every other day. Do you thaw it first, or just drop the cube in?

Most commercial brands have a lot of fillers, PE Mysis is the exception...it's just shrimp, no water or anything else. Even still, a cube of that is a lot.

I'd cut back on your feeding first.

Change *one* thing at a time, then wait a while. If your nitrates are still sky-high, try something else. If you change 2, 3, or 4 things at once, you won't know what the root cause of the problem was.

Sniper hank I do have chappy low flow on the floor of my tank how do I remedy that the problem is I have really fine sand so pointing a power head directly down is out of the question

As to the OP's original question, yes I have experimented with the Red Sea product. I keep a bottle of it in case I have a phosphate spike. It does rapidly reduce DOC's but it is too expensive for me to use on a daily basis. My venture into carbon dosing (beads) seemed to grow Cyanobacteria as well as it did beneficial bacterial. I ended up just going thru my system and cleaning everything last time I saw phosphates creeping up. Got the protein skimmers tuned up and everything settled back down. I am going to investigate the Cyano/carbon connection, because I would like to use carbon dosing to help offset my generous feeding schedule.

Last edited:
I have noticed a steady drastic decline in my nitrates ( haven't tested phos lately) I cannot totally attribute this to the N03-P04X because I have done 2 large water changes during this dosing process. However prior to beginning the dosing I had done 2 large back to back water changes and still had sky high trates. I have notice my skimmers making a lot more skimmate since beginning dosing. Also my water is the clearest it has ever been and my algae growth is next to nothing. Thoughts?

That sounds right, carbon dosing creates a lot of skim. In fact one caution is you have to have your skimmer running in tip top condition while dosing.

It caused a bacterial bloom in my system that took a few days and a lot of skimming to cleanup.i am most concerned about the bad bacterial it also promotes. I can defiantly see Cyano increase when carbon dosing. And it can even increase bacterial infections your fish have to fight off. I doubt I will ever carbon dose again unless it's an emergency. I also run three skimmers, so removing it isn't a big deal, but still takes a few days.

Wow 3 skimmers you must have a huge tank or bio - load. I have a 125g and have been battling nitrates that were literally off the charts since it's beginning. I have backed off the dosing since my last water change which brought them to 40ppm. I'm going to do another large one today and see where I end up. What would you recommend as a weekly/bi - weekly amount to change once the trates are under control? Also I plan on going reef with this tank what are good levels for all params if I plan to keep a mixed bag of all type of corsls?

Zero on all parameters for coral, a reading of about .05ppm on phosphates. Do you grow algae for nitrogen export? That might help a lot and it has no side effects like dosing has.

I skim the heck out of this 450 gallon system.

Oh wow 450g that would be awesome. I do have a softball size ball of chaeto and am deciding what else to grow. What should my calcium be at for good corraline/ coral growgh?

Okay, I just finished 2 weeks where I tested this stuff. Smells like floor cleaner. Dosed as recommended , cranked up the skimmers and the following happened:

First day before dosing Phosphates at 2.00ppm. I had gotten lazy and was feeding heavy, so time to see how this works.

Added recommended dose. 24 hours no visible change but the protein skimmers are pulling up stuff. Nasty stuff.

Second day, added reduced dose, no visible change, but the skimmers are now running bonkers.

Third day, added reduced dose. Oops, the tank goes cloudy with a bacteria bloom. Watched oxygen levels (redox) and fish, no sign of discomfort, so let the skimmers do their work and next day was crystal clear. Phosphates went to .04ppm. Pretty effective! Tank has stayed stable at .07 ppm for a week with no follow up dosing. Making me reconsider some vodka dosing.

Over that week a 500 gallon system generated almost 5 gallons of wet skim mate.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom