Red Sea Prizm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyH5512

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts on these? What would a comparable item be (of similar size, clearance room behind tank, etc)? TIA

Andy

I had one for 3 days. It suked comparing to other skimmers that i've used (AquaC Remora PRO, Coralife Super Skimmer 125). AquaC Remora skimmers have the same size as the Prizm does. They are good skimmers but a bit pricey. I personally would recommend the Coralife Super Skimmer. It's cheap (not expensive), solid, and works great.

I used a Prism Deluxe for a few years then upgraded to a CSS125. It worked OK. Huge difference in size, so if you don't have alot of room, you may have less options. As FishFrik said, the remora is a good choice for limited space.

Thanks. I am helping someone out, and their Prizm is not working. I think I will recommend the AquaC Remora, and hopefully it will fit. It's a tight fit between the tank and the wall. Any other suggestions?

I am also thinking of buying the AquaC Remora. How noisy is it?

I got a used Remora PRO. I think it's been used for almost 2 years. I gotta tell you... it's really lousy! Maybe it's just mine but if i would to start over... i would use a CSS

AndyH5512 said:
The Prizm has been replaced by the Remora. So far, so good. Much nicer quality than the Prizm as well.

I have a prizm that I can't stand. It becomes very noisy. I have to keep adjusting it and cleaning it to stop the noise. I am limited on space and would probably need the remora. How is your remora working? Is it quiet compared to the prizm? I just wanted to ask someone who had both skimmers. Thanks!

Jim

Another CSS 125 vote. Cheap (barely $100 online), and solid, as long as you keep the water level stable, and clean the collection cup each time you dump it.

I have been running a prizm for a few dats now and it seems to be doing a good job. It is loud though, I keep thinking the dishwasher must be going

Actually, I will be one of the dissenting voices here. I have one and it works well for me. It is quiet enough (the one with the 18 blade impeller) and pulls allot of gunk out of the water. Mine is set up and produces a nice dry foam.

Does it take a little more attention and tuning than others, probably, but aren't you paying attention to something on your aquarium at least once or twice a day (food, lights, top-offs). Not too much to add the water adjustment to this list.

Works fine, no complaints.

Back
Top Bottom