Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-15-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to jackdp
Red Sea prizm surface skimmer...

Has anyone had success using the surface skimmer attachment that comes with the Red Sea Prizm skimmer Deluxe? I've been using it for over a year now and can never seem to get rid of the DOC scum on the surface. Just wondering if I've got something set wrong or if it just plain don't work.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Prism surface skimmer

I tried to use it unsuccessfully for a while. My problem was that I didn't have a sump and I couldn't maintain an constant water level. I found that the surface skimmer cup would only work with the water level just, just above the top fo the cup. That would work for only a day, then the water level would drop and the cup would run dry and the skimmer pump would run dry.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Prism surface skimmer

I tried to use it unsuccessfully for a while. My problem was that I didn't have a sump and I couldn't maintain an constant water level. I found that the surface skimmer cup would only work with the water level just, just above the top fo the cup. That would work for only a day, then the water level would drop and the cup would run dry and the skimmer pump would run dry.
Old 03-16-2004, 12:03 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

I have a surface skimmer for my regular filter that seems to work a charm (though I don't have anything living in the tank yet). I bought it at petcetra for like 10 bucks and it adjusts to the level of the water, even if you get tonnes of evaporation. When you first turn the filter on it bobs up and down till it gets set to just skim the top of the water and then it maintains itself at that water level even if you go down 3/4 of an inch.

Hope that that helps!

Here is what I have now...

29 gal tank
aquaclear 200
prizm skimmer
maxijet 900 powerhead
100W (maybe 150W) heater, but heating isnt a prob
1.5 inches of crushed coral
some decoration stuff including a couple peices of old dried coral.) Not sure if it is real to be honest...
Crappy lights that I am going to rebuild, just for come flourescents
excited_newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:33 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
try aiming a power head at the surface so it disrupts the surface tension slightly. bet it will work like a charm it does for me.

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 12:42 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
try aiming a power head at the surface so it disrupts the surface tension slightly. bet it will work like a charm it does for me
I did the same thing, get more water movement at the top and it gets rid of that nasty DOC on the surface HTH
Old 03-16-2004, 01:15 AM   #7
steve-s

Re: Red Sea prizm surface skimmer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdp
Has anyone had success using the surface skimmer attachment that comes with the Red Sea Prizm skimmer Deluxe? I've been using it for over a year now and can never seem to get rid of the DOC scum on the surface. Just wondering if I've got something set wrong or if it just plain don't work.
It will work but the problem is it can not be too close to the surface. If you have alot of daily evap or the skimmer collects more than regular skimmate the tank water level gets too low. It will usually suck too much air causing cavitation and the impeller will break.

If you can adjust it so the bottom slots are about 1" below the water surface and still maintain "smooth" water flow into the skimmer, it should work just fine. I also find that if the flow itself is adjusted too high, it does not collect as well as when tunned lower with higher amount of air injection.

Cheers
Steve

Tags
prizm, sea, skimmer, surface, surface skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com