Red Sea prizm surface skimmer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackdp

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anyone had success using the surface skimmer attachment that comes with the Red Sea Prizm skimmer Deluxe? I've been using it for over a year now and can never seem to get rid of the DOC scum on the surface. Just wondering if I've got something set wrong or if it just plain don't work.

Prism surface skimmer

I tried to use it unsuccessfully for a while. My problem was that I didn't have a sump and I couldn't maintain an constant water level. I found that the surface skimmer cup would only work with the water level just, just above the top fo the cup. That would work for only a day, then the water level would drop and the cup would run dry and the skimmer pump would run dry.

Prism surface skimmer

I tried to use it unsuccessfully for a while. My problem was that I didn't have a sump and I couldn't maintain an constant water level. I found that the surface skimmer cup would only work with the water level just, just above the top fo the cup. That would work for only a day, then the water level would drop and the cup would run dry and the skimmer pump would run dry.

I have a surface skimmer for my regular filter that seems to work a charm (though I don't have anything living in the tank yet). I bought it at petcetra for like 10 bucks and it adjusts to the level of the water, even if you get tonnes of evaporation. When you first turn the filter on it bobs up and down till it gets set to just skim the top of the water and then it maintains itself at that water level even if you go down 3/4 of an inch.

Hope that that helps!

try aiming a power head at the surface so it disrupts the surface tension slightly. bet it will work like a charm it does for me.

try aiming a power head at the surface so it disrupts the surface tension slightly. bet it will work like a charm it does for me

I did the same thing, get more water movement at the top and it gets rid of that nasty DOC on the surface HTH

jackdp said:
Has anyone had success using the surface skimmer attachment that comes with the Red Sea Prizm skimmer Deluxe? I've been using it for over a year now and can never seem to get rid of the DOC scum on the surface. Just wondering if I've got something set wrong or if it just plain don't work.
It will work but the problem is it can not be too close to the surface. If you have alot of daily evap or the skimmer collects more than regular skimmate the tank water level gets too low. It will usually suck too much air causing cavitation and the impeller will break.

If you can adjust it so the bottom slots are about 1" below the water surface and still maintain "smooth" water flow into the skimmer, it should work just fine. I also find that if the flow itself is adjusted too high, it does not collect as well as when tunned lower with higher amount of air injection.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom