Red Sea pro salt mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last night I made three different five gallon mixes of saltwater from coral pro salt (water change time anyway. All three tested out 510, 500, 510 calcium, 1370 mag, and 12 dkh. I used salifert and tropic marin tests. I did one test from my old half used tropic marin's and it was 420 cal, 9 dkh and 1350 mag. I just asked about dry mixing the salt first because in the past I have seen major differences in parameters from the top to bottom of the buckets, especially with large mixes. Just like anything else shipped, I figured it may have settled.
As I mentioned earlier, I never had any problems with the original Coral Pro formula and I like the Red Sea, but I don't keep my calcium at 500 or my alk at 12 dKH (the original version had a much lower alk level). Being I dose a set amount of calcium and alk everyday I don't want to have to change my routine on days I do a water change. I perfer to use salt that's as close to the parameters I keep my tank at and the regular formula Red Sea is perfect for me. The Tropic Marin parameters look good, but the price turns me off. Stability is a key to success and if I can keep my water parameter pretty much the same day in and day out it leads to a stable system. I'm not saying you can't have success using a salt that may have much higher than natural calcium and alk levels, it just didn't fit my way of maintaining stable water parameters.
I looked at an LFS tonight, Red Sea (not pro!) was $99.99 for a bucket. Craziness.
WOW I pay $45 for a bucket of regular Red Sea at my LFS.

I pay £55 in uk every thing so much more money here sucks !

ccCapt said:
I used about 10 175gal buckets of the Red Sea Coral Pro and while I didn't have any major problems with it, I didn't like the fact the calcium and alk are not really balanced. The calcium is very high (490) and alk too low (7 dKH). It messed up my dosing regime. I used regular Red Sea salt for over 10 yrs so I switched back to that. The calcium and alk are more balanced at 400 ca and 8 alk.

I have just the opposite effect using this salt....lower calcium levels and moderate alk..( using the new red sea test kits and dbl'd ck'n w/ API kits)).. I've been dosing steadily just to get the calcium up to 420 ppm..... This is my fifth bucket so far... Kinda interesting to see the differences between users...hmmmm

Each and everybody has totally diff requirements for our tanks, depending on your type/load of corals and livestock these parameters will change add to that the fact that no two waters are exactly the same (RO,DI,TAP etc). I think red sea coral pro salt (purple acro on bucket) will most certainly create a richer mixture than most other salts. At the end of the day the most important thing IMO is the continuity of your stability and this salt is deff constant at the time of mixing, after it hits your tank then thats a completely diff story.

Back
Top Bottom