Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2004, 08:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to Dayna
Red Sea Skimmer

Hello everyone!

My boyfriend and I are new into the SaltWater aquarium scene.

We just bought a Red Sea skimmer and nothing seems to be gathering.

Is there suppose to be foam collecting? The only way foam is present is if the airline is open.

When I block the airline, water just flows through the system.

Am I doing something wrong?

Old 03-14-2004, 09:10 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, lots of protein skimmer questions today. Anyway...

I assume it is new, correct? If so, all protein skimmers require a "break in" period before they really get going. This can be as quick as a day or two or as long as a week.

I am unfamiliar with Red Sea skimmers but I assume you are speaking of a Berlin skimmer since you said it has an airline. Is the airline adjusted properly according to the manual?

Old 03-14-2004, 09:59 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
If this is the Berlin Classic, you should open the airline all the way. If wet foam starts to overflow into the collection cup, cut the air back a little. How the skimmer performs will depend somewhat on the pump. If it's a Mag 5, you'll probably have to run the air wide open. If it's a Mag 7 pump, you may have to choke the air a little. If it's a Berlin Turbo, you'll just have to play it by ear...I've never used one of them although I suspect they are very similar in adjustment to the Classic.
Also, if this is a new tank, there may not be anything in there for the skimmer to pull out yet.
Since it's a new skimmer, it will probably require a couple of weeks to completely break in.
Old 03-14-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

its a red sea prism with the deluxe add ons or what ever :p

and ya theres noting in the tank cept about 4 peices of base rock and three peices of live rock.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
I assume that you have mixed the salt in already. I also have a red sea skimmer, Just adjust the water flow so that the line between the bubbles and water inside of the unit is just below the collector cup "O" ring it will need some adjustment to get the bubbles falling into it I think mine took about two weeks for something to happen.

Most likely you dont have any scum to skim just yet

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2004, 01:33 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmm okay.

i'm sure i'll get the hang of it.

is there supposed to be little bubbles flowing back into the tank? theres not a large amount... just small bubbles. i thought i read somewhere that no bubbles should be flowing back into the tank.

also our salt level is at 1.021 should I add a little more salt? or is it fine?

i never thought i'd say this but..... I want scum!!! ha ha ha, just so i know its working right :P :P :P :P
Old 03-15-2004, 09:05 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a red sea prizm deluxe also. It will take a few days to run in and requires continuous fine tuning. I have not found anyway of eliminating the micro bubbles, but I had some success by placing a piece of filter foam in the media basket. This seems to reduce the bubbles a bit.

It will again take a good day for it to skim again if you have cleaned the collection cup. Any water changes and after feeding will stop the skimmer from skimming for a few hours.

I found the best skimming position is to have the water level at the rubber ring level of the collar or just above. And the surface skimmer is absolutely useless. I uses a separate surface skimmer instead of the supplied one.

Mine is skimming quite well, but it takes patience and fine tuning. My LFS has two installed in their tanks, and they do skim really nasty stuff. My SG is 1.022
Old 03-15-2004, 09:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ive been able to adjust mine so no bubles return to the main tank and a little adjustment weekly is required but it does work well .

Old 03-15-2004, 12:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

hmm so bubbles right now because its new are okay?

there is some foam bubbling up but its not dirty. its just foaming over then eventually turning back into water.
Old 03-15-2004, 06:38 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dayna, I believe that in order to get foam out of skimmer in a scumless system you will need to crank up the flow so high that bubbles will enter the return. Just be patient youll get scumm eventually

Tags
sea, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com