red slim attack HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
The Red slim is taking over my tank. I Put the red slim remover in my tank 2 times already and its is growing and spreading very fast. Its all over my corals. I did water changes and my tank was doing so perfect with peramitors to. What do I do now.

Sometimes the growth of red slime can consume nutrients so fast that your test kit reading gets thrown off.

What is your feeding schedule?
What is your maintenance routiene?
How much flow do you have in the tank?
How long has this tank been running?

The quickest way I got rid of mine was, to siphone it out, as much as possible and then did a 25% PWC. I removed the sponges from my filter, two the 1st week. Siphoned more out the next week and did another 25% PWC and removed the other two sponges from my tank.
It seems the slime lives off of the already dead slime and causes a nasty cycle.
What kind of filtration are you using....filter with bio balls/wheel, or something with sponges?

I have a filter with carbon and some bio thing in it. no sponge and I have the powerhead at 50 gallons max and Will this kill my corals.

Please update the "my info" area of your profile and include information on your setup to include such things as lighting, filtration, size, substarte, inhabitants and how long it has been running ffeding schedule etc. This way we can better help without asking a lot of questions.

First thing I would do is check all water parameters focusing on nitrate and phosphates. Then do PWC as mentioned above. make sure your water sourse is clean such as RO/DI. If using tap test that as well.

Possibly cut back on feedings. It sounds like you may have a HOB filter with a bio wheel which could be contributing to your problem.

Do you use a skimmer?

Answer these questions and update your profile and we can better help.

Hopefully your filter is also contributing to your total flow in additon to that 50 GPH power head? You probably want to aim for about 300 GPH total flow.

Roka's suggestions are all good ones. Removal of slime, removal of excess nutrients the slime is living on...

From my experience you will have to do the water changes and pray. I have done everything mentioned above, but the water changes and siphoning out the chunks of slime is what does the best. I would recommend falling ALL the advice above, i.e. check water, lights, flow, etc. Next, siphon off as much of the stuff as you can. Then, do a water change of 25% or so, THEN medicate the tank with that chemical powder slime killer stuff. Oh, in case you didn't know, make sure you remove the carbon when you medicate with the slime killer powder. After you treat the tank for a few days, do another water change per instructions on the bag. That is what took care of the slime in my nano tanks. I got lucky and only had to deal with a 12 gallon and a 2 1/2 gallon.

The slime should not harm the corals as long as you keep an eye on it. I guess if you left it alone it could 'smother' some stuff, but all you have to do is direct a jet of water with a powerhead or your hand to knock any off the corals that is on them. I only saw that the slime seemed to cover a few kinds of polyps, like star and glove, most of my other corals didn't seem to be too bothered by it.

Good luck, and a few hermits will eat the stuff too, but it seems to grow too fast for them to handle it all, and they seem to prefer other things more.

Back
Top Bottom