Red Slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dr.diggler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am having a ongoing problem with red alage. I have used the red slime to keep it under control. But it seems to just keep coming back. what can be done to get rid of it. From what i have been told it comes about when you have excessive amounts of phosphates in the tank.

I am having a ongoing problem with red alage. I have used the red slime to keep it under control

And that my friend is the problem with using chemicals to treat a husbandry problem. When you use the red slime remover, all your doing is treating they symptoms, not the cause, which is high nutrients and/or poor waterflow.

To end cyanobacteria (take heart, this can be a long process and it has or will happen to everyone), increase waterflow in areas that seem to be the most effected, look for anything that might be decaying in the area and fueling the algae. Do weekly waterchanges of 10-25% using RO/DI water, siphoning off the cyano as you go. Top off the tank with RO/DI water. Look into the food your feeding to see if they are providing PO4 and look into higher quality foods, if your using frozen brine (not very nutritious) strain the water off before you feed, this is a big source of PO4. Reduce the amount of food and if feeding multiple times per day, reduce to once per day or once every two days. If your not using a skimmer, start. If you are make certain it is running at maximum efficiency.

i havent vacuumed the tank in a couple of weeks, could that have contributed to the problem. I checked my nitrite/nitrate/ammonia/PH levels and they were all fine.... also another question for you, i use a regular vacuum for the tank, my father complains that i am going to suck up this hermit crabs in it, is there another other product out there that is alil more crustacean friendly.

Back
Top Bottom