Red Slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rluka

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Everyone,

Does any one has any idea on how to get rid of red slime? I tried to scoop it by hand, change the water, but no use. I also added a power head at the spot where it's growing, but still didn't work. I have a 29g biocube, and it's mainly growing on the sand and the glass.

Many thanks
Rand

Start by siphoning it out with a piece of airline tubing. Cyano is a nutrient issue in your tank. Do you use ro/di? How many fish in your biocube? How much do you feed? Water changes weekly?

When I had it, I:
1. Removed the cyano with a turkey baster
2. Confirmed my water source doesnt initially have nitrates/phosphates
3. Added phosguard to my tank
4. Reduced my feeding from 2x per day to once a day
5. Did a 50% water change to get any phosphates or nitrates down
6. Turned off the lights for 2 day.
7. Installed a protein skimmer
8. Added chaeto

I bought reedslime, but didn't need to use it.

Sniperhank said:
Start by siphoning it out with a piece of airline tubing. Cyano is a nutrient issue in your tank. Do you use ro/di? How many fish in your biocube? How much do you feed? Water changes weekly?

Thanks Sniperhank!
1. I use RO only.
2. I have 2 small clowns and 1 medium size angel, and recently added a white sand goby, but the guy disappeared the same day, never seen him since. About 25 lbs of live rock, 1.5 inch of sand bed, some corals, 1 laenka orange star, cleaner shrimp and few snails.
3. I feed about 2/3 of a cube of brine shrimp once a day.
4. Water changes are irrigular, sometimes once a week, and other times once a month.

Thanks

Chirp said:
When I had it, I:
1. Removed the cyano with a turkey baster
2. Confirmed my water source doesnt initially have nitrates/phosphates
3. Added phosguard to my tank
4. Reduced my feeding from 2x per day to once a day
5. Did a 50% water change to get any phosphates or nitrates down
6. Turned off the lights for 2 day.
7. Installed a protein skimmer
8. Added chaeto

I bought reedslime, but didn't need to use it.

Thanks Chirp!

Could you please explain numbers 1 and 8?

Thanks

Thanks Chirp!

Could you please explain numbers 1 and 8?

Thanks

1. The red slime is another name for cyanobacteria. I usually use a turkey baster to suck up the stuff and throw it away.
8. Chaeto is short for chaetomorpha. It's a type of macroalgae. Cyano and other algae usually appears because there's excess nutrients (ie nitrates and phosphates) in the water. The chaeto consumes these nutrients to help prevent other algae from growing.

Do you rinse your cubes or drop them in the tank whole? The juice that the mysis are frozen in won't feed your fish and is like rocket fuel for algae and cyano.

Starchar said:
Do you rinse your cubes or drop them in the tank whole? The juice that the mysis are frozen in won't feed your fish and is like rocket fuel for algae and cyano.

Actually I drop them whole, partially thawed, I'm not sure how can I rinse it without loosing the food in the water it's too tiny to control.

Thanks

I use a 5ml syringe. Put the frozen food in a shot glass with a few ml of tank water, wait for it to thaw, suck it into the syringe and turn it upside down so the food goes to the bottom and push out the excess liquid so then you're just left with food in the syringe

Back
Top Bottom