Red Slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skae310

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got some red slime on my sand. Just started lately. I think it might be from an increase in feeding (I have a hairy hitchiker crab I cant seem to lure with food). Anyways, I stopped attempts at catching him and am just giving up for a while, but I am wondering the best way to eliminate the red slime I have? It seems to grow back almost instantly. I did a water change after the overfeeding. I figured that would help. Didn't. Anybody have this problem before?

If this is the 14 gallon tank I would try 3-4 gallons twice a week. That is with RO/DI water. If you are using tap water that might be where the fuel for your cyano is coming from.

Since you only have the clowns you could also reduce the duration of your lights too. If those don't help then try more flow over the red slime.

I have corals too. Just not listed in my profile. I do have one question on water changes. I currently do two gallons a week. One reason is normally that's all I need to keep levels in line but also because if I take any more out my toadstool leather is exposed to air. If I already have the salt mixed is it okay to expose him to air for a little bit?

I just had this problem recently. I did about a 40% water change and removed 1/4 of my bioballs and replaced with LR rubble. I also added iodine, purple up and calcium. I can scrape it off my glass and two days later its back. It is also in my two dead spots on my sand. I have had this happen before and I think it is a chemical imbalance. Nitrates at 10ppm, NItrate 0, ammonia 0, calcium 400, ph 8.0-8.2 range. Temperature is about 78-82 tops and lights are on 10 hours a day. I get brown, red and some green slime algae.

Back
Top Bottom