Red Slime Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hinds04

Aquarium Advice Addict
How do I get rid of this? What inverts will actively eat this stuff?

Although I've seen umpteen sites talk about various snails that will eat cyano, I've never actually seen any of those snails eat it in my tank. Maybe I've just got picky eaters. Cyano normally implies excess nutrients. Is this in your 10g you've got listed? Are you feeding the feather duster any phytoplankton? If so, that might be a culprit.

yea it is mainly my 10 gallon. Although, I have started a 75 and used a lot of stuff that was in my 10 and I am seeing some spots on the sand that look like it is starting in there as well. Yes, I am feeding the duster the phytoplankton. I heard the zebra hermit that I have will eat it.

The simple answer is "NO". Snails won't eat cyano. The best way is to increase flow to the area and reduce feedings!

Siphon out as much as possible with your next pwc. Cut WAYYYYYY back on feeding (2 - 3 times per week and half of the amount you now feed).

How old are the bulbs in your light fixtures and what type of lights do you have? PC need to be changed every 6 - 9 months, MH annually, and T5 every 12-15 months.

Once you have removed as much as possible point your powerheads to create more flow in those areas.

That's the quick version of what you need to do.

Take a look at your rock structure and make sure theres no 'dead' spots in the tank. Adding an extra power head and adding more flow can certainly help. Once I re-arranged some rocks in my tank, and added an extra Koralia, it was able to get to the nasty stuff and kick it up, to be sucked up by the skimmer.. which of course helped with the algae / cyano since all of its 'food' was being filtered away.

phyto is ok for the duster, but you'll need to do more to remove it so you don't have a build up of nutrients, which is what is bringing on the cyano.

Back
Top Bottom