Red Slime Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
All, my tank has been established for a year and a half now i got rid of the red slime algae long ago but it seems to for some reason have reappeared. My params are normal and okay but phosphates are .4. I also use RO water and havnt changed the filters in a while but im not thinking this is the issue. I just replaced all carbon in my filter so that should be fine and i leave my T5s on 12 hours. I have had them for 6 months now running 12 hours daily. I think the lighting spectrum has dipped into the nm range that the algae thrives so i believe replacement of the bulbs is required. My lfs seems to think the bulbs are fine and should last another 6 months. What has been your experiences ? I find it funny i changed nothing from what i did before and i didnt have it then but it just came from no where and now i cant seem to get rid of it, not even with 40% water changes! It comes back, i am not over feeding either. Thoughts ?

Any phosphate isn't good. Even .4. Gotta fix the source of that first.

What are your feeding habits, and describe the water flow in your tank. Deadspots?

what fixture do you have the bulbs in? some ballasts overdrive the lamps and cause them to wear out quicker. i think it's a nutrient issue though.

My experience with slime algae

I just started my tank September 2010. Everything was fine until about two weeks ago when I had a really bad outbreak of red slime algae. I added some Mexican Turbo snails and did numerous water changes to get the algae in check. I also reduced the hours I had my lights on. Previously, they were on 12 hrs a day and now I have them cut back to 8. I think I have the issue under control for now and that it was mainly due to the lighting. (Sorry if this isn't very helpful... I'm pretty new to SW tanks, but I thought I would share).

Good luck getting rid of your slime algae.

i have always kept my lights on for a total of 12 hours and i can tell you from experience that the longer photo period is not the problem. the water changes you are doing are helping more than a few hours less lighting is.
mexican turbo snails don't eat cyanobacteria.

The guy at the LFS told me they were Mexican Turbo snails and they were eating the slime or at least seemed to be eating it, but maybe they were another type of snail. (The LFS people by me don't seem to know what they're talking about... they also told me an orange shoulder tang would be ok in my 55 gal tank).

Sorry for my unhelpful post.

Wow!!! An lfs tells me something like that, and I wouldn't believe them ever again even if they said today is Monday. :) Unbelievably greedy I'd say they are. Try to tell you anthing to make a sale.

None taken, the SW tank has definetly been a learning experience. And one thing I've learned now and in the past is that I need to stop listening to the LFS people. I think I'm going to change the lighting back to 12 hrs. Thanks

Wow!!! An lfs tells me something like that, and I wouldn't believe them ever again even if they said today is Monday. :) Unbelievably greedy I'd say they are. Try to tell you anthing to make a sale.

Yeah I should have went home and researched, but I was too excited to add another fish. I still have the orange shoulder in the tank and am planning on finding him a new home when he gets bigger.

Back
Top Bottom