Red Slime Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jprice1612

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone know of a good product to keep Red Slime under control? I am currently waiting on another powerhead to arrive an it is spreading due to not enough flow. Any advice?

Does anyone know of a good product to keep Red Slime under control? I am currently waiting on another powerhead to arrive an it is spreading due to not enough flow. Any advice?

Its spreading because of excess nutrients. Doing a few water changes and siphoning out the cyano will do a lot more good than any chemical product. Flow is only a small factor.

Chemiclean works wonders to remove cyano from your system. It's only going to come back unless you change your feeding habits. How much/often are you feeding?

I feed every other day but only in small portions. All the food is gone to where none is left hanging around. my light cycle is 10 hrs a day. I use frozen mysis shrimp and frozen plankton which i have heard both contain a good bit of phosphates. I have not had the chance on gaining enough knowledge of making my own food yet.

Good stare

Chemiclean works wonders to remove cyano from your system. It's only going to come back unless you change your feeding habits. How much/often are you feeding?[/QUOTE

Test all of your water for phosphates. I needed to add a DI filter on my RO filter to remove them from my fresh water.

Chemiclean might make your tank sparkle for a few days but it wont fix a nutrient problem, import or export, one o them isnt up to par, or both.

I do not use a rodi unit but i do you use distilled water and still add prime to be safe. Would this have any affect? And does anyone have a good recipe for a good food to brew?

I do not use a rodi unit but i do you use distilled water and still add prime to be safe. Would this have any affect? And does anyone have a good recipe for a good food to brew?

Distilled is not 0 TDS and often contains phosphate and god knows what else. It could very well be part of the problem.

As for food here is what i make.

1/2 lb. Fresh raw shrimp
1/4 lb Fresh scallops
1/4 lb Oysters
1/4 lb Talapia
2 tbsp Freeze Dried ESV Phytoplankton
2 tbsp Brightwell Microvore
1 tbsp Kent Zoa
And if any is on hand i will throw in have a package of mysis or brine.

Blend this in a blender until you have a thick and not too lumpy a consistency almost like peanut butter but not quite that thick. Add rodi as you blend to get the right consistency.

Pour into a freezer bag and roll it out flat on a cookie sheet and freeze it. After frozen over night you can break it up into chucks or what i do is actually cut it into cubes with a pizza cutter.

So would i be better off getting water from my lfs? I do not have enough room to run a rodi unit.

So would i be better off getting water from my lfs? I do not have enough room to run a rodi unit.

You dont need room for an RO/Di, you can hook it up to the kitchen sink when you need it and put it in a cupboard, closet or garage when not it use. Its not something you run under your tank.

It was already stated, but distilled water still has phosphates and things in the water. While I wait for more resin to arrive I have been using distilled water in my reef tank. It has been fueling the algae in my tank nicely...

I run a ro/di unit from bulkreefsupply.com. Great units for a good price. I just hook it up to the faucet when I need to use it and store it under the sink when not in use.

Back
Top Bottom