Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-25-2004, 11:08 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

red slime algae

My tank has ben up and running for 8 weeks and have red algae on my sand. Is this normal? Is this a stage that the system is going through?

Old 11-26-2004, 12:27 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've read in other posts here that this is quite normal after cycling. You should try to vacuum and remove it as it accumulates so it can't take over the tank. The more you get, the bigger the problem and harder to get rid of. I have had similar problems just recently after setup in my 33g, about 2.5 months in now.

I clean it manually every few days, provide LOTS of water circulation, and I added 6 astrea snails and the problem is finally starting to go away. I don't know what other cleanup crew I should add yet, but its finally starting to look like a tank and the coraline is beginning to spread now that the algae is at bay a little more.

Hope that helps.

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 12:31 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

THANKS. How did you remove it?
Old 11-26-2004, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

A bit of everything, some by a light vacuum (hover over the dsb) during water change and a bit of scrubbing off the LR with filter pad or bristle brush. Lots of glass cleaning too to get it in the water then water change and LOTS of water flow with skimmer running full tilt... I try to stir up the surface of the dsb a lot with water flow so more stuff gets suspended in the water and then filtered or skimmed out. The rocks get covered more with sand because of this, but I just blast them clean with a turkey baster more frequently.

Its almost all gone now, so I've set things back to normal and it looks like it is now finally disappearing on its own with the help of the snails. The glass still gets a lot of green on it evey 4-5 days though right now...

Equipment: 33G SW Reef tank (pic), 192W Coralife PC lighting, PHs for H2O circulation, Red Sea Berlin Classic Skimmer
Aquascaping: 3" DSB, 50lb live rock (~35 lbs home made Cement Base Rock)
Clean Up Crew: Blue Leg hermits, Cerith snails, Astrea Snails, Stomatella snails, Brittlestar, banded brittles.
Critters: Hawaiian feather duster, Coral Banded Shrimp, Emerald Crab
Corals: Open Brain Coral, Cabbage coral, 4 RBTAs, Melon mushrooms, green Zoos, yellow polyps, finger Leather, orange Zoos, Brown Zoos, Chocolate Zoos, Xenia, GSP, Kenya Tree Coral, 2 acropora SPS, blue sponge, candy cane
Fish/Inverts: Maroon Clownfish, Scooter Blenny, Coral Beauty dwarf angel, Sea Hare
vertex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 11:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I should mention that you need to clean any particulate filter daily while fighting algae outbreaks. The biological action of water flowing thru a filter pad and being exposed to the detritus buildup will produce phosphates & feed your algae bloom.

Tags
algae, red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com