I used a two step approach. Tested for phosphates like Lando suggested. They were high after the Christmas show-off, overfeeding period.
Did more frequent water changes to fix that - 'bout one every 4 days. Small, only 5g on my 75g and 15g sump.
Then, I used a dry product called Ultralife red slime remover (from Ultralife Reef Products in CT) after vacuuming as much slime as I could. The product is billed as no harm to fish, inverts, or corals.
Calls for one tiny capful per 15g aquarium water as a dissolved solution. No carbon cleansing afterwards either. The next day, the slime coat on a 2 x 4" plot of sand raised up and separated from the sand. The stuff on the rock was gone and hasn't come back in a month. Of course I got the phosphates in order in the meantime. I probaly need to do a product review. Gotta check with the elders here to see if my experience was an exception.
But the stuff worked great for me.
Oh yeah, my manners. Almost forgot'm. Welcome to AA!
Keep us posted on your progress.
He beat me to the smileys again!