red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

matman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Wondering if anyone knows how to treat the red slime algae. It''s covering my live rock, and the fish look stressed out.

any help would be WONDERFUL.

TIA

Scrub rocks with tooth brush. Vacum rocks and sand. Remove sand while vacuming if sand is affected. Clean sand and replace. :mrgreen:

Removal is good, but it doesn't SOLVE the problem, which is either not enough current, or too much phosphate in the system.
Tell me what you're using for circulation (brand and model of powerheads/pumps/filters) adn the size of your tank.

Most likely though, it's too much phosphate...which you'll need a phosphate test kit to confirm. I recommend the one by SeaChem or Salifert.

its a 30 gallon tank using a FLUVAL honestly, not sure of the model

an Aquarium Systems protein skimmer.

If it does test positive for too much phosphate, what should i do??

siphon it off daily, do water changes with ro/di water, reduce lighting, increase water flow and cut back on feeding until you have it under control. Also replace the floss in the fluval if you have not done so recently.

I used Chemi clean and got good results,but I`ve read where not so good results were had by others. I can only speak for my results

same here with chemi clean. I use it to get rid of the algea while I'm doing water changes 2 times weekly. Just be careful with adding things in the tank to fix problems. You have to get to the root of the problem to truly fix it. If not the stuff will just come back quicker.

I was nervous about using chemi-clean as well, but it did work for me. Of course you have to find the root of the problem. I suggest looking at phosphates, and then lighting. It'll take time to fully get rid of the cyano, but with patience it can be done.

Back
Top Bottom