Red slime algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spartan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Looking to control or eliminate algae growth?I have brushed it from my rock and removed it physically from the aquarium but it keeps regrowing.I`m worried it will smother the nice growth (algae) on my rock.Ho! I have reduced my feeding intervals and reduced daytime light to six hours from eight hours also.Waiting for some suggestions?Thanks inadvance.

What are your nitrAtes/phosphates, from your source water?
What/how much are you feeding?
Any chance you can update "my info" with your tank size/critters/equipment.
Can you also post your water results as well?
Brushing will only spread it, if it is red slime. Try using a siphon to suck it out and increase PWCs.

Check your phosphates. I have had red slime and my phosphates were high. It because I'm using Tap water. I'm going to start using R/O from my LFS. You can buy phosphate remover that you can put in a bag and keep it in your filter or somewhere that has water running across it. Also if you have crushed coral as your substrate I was told that this is a cause because it traps debris more than say sand would causing red slim to form. I have that as well. LOL I'm in the process of upgrading my tank and the new one will be sand. Just some thoughts for ya.

Hey guys thanks for all the responses.Also How do I update My Info! I have never tried or atleast,I can`t remember what I did when I first did it.Water parameters are as folows.Nitrites-0,Nitrates-5,Phosphates-.5,PH-8.2,Ammonia-0,S.G.1.024.I have read that link also.I will post results as they occur.Some of the things in the info I have been doing allready and will continue,but wil incorperate the others with time.I know this is a nautral process and my live stock are all healthy and doing find,it just looks like crap.Thanks agian

Go to the home page and you can update your profile.
The only problem I see are the phosphates and a smaller problem with the nitrAtes. What are your source water's results? If you are getting phosphates or nitrAtes from there, you will not really be able to combat it. You may want to look into an RO/DI unit or use distilled water....

Yes, in my response prior I for got to mention I am using ro/di water from my own unit.Also I just recently added A skimmer that is now actually skimming now after a short break-in period.I was feeding everyday w/all filtration off.Because of my lite livestock load I was only feeding in very small amounts,and things were fine,but when I added the colt coral I did start to use a photoplankton.

Hmmm, I am out of my experience level when it comes to corals.
Can you explain how much you are feeding it and how often?
How old is your RO/DI?

I like your dog roka64. He looks pretty nice and playful.

Sorry... off-topic.

Yes.I`m following the directions on the bottle 2tbs.for every 100gal. everyother day.But I have suspended the feedings till the bloom clears.My ro/di unit is new,three months old.I have kept a diary since inception , and I belive the sourse of the problem is two fold.One I used some dead rock in the scaping,and two feeding with fresh seafood.The latter being that althought the fish were consuming most, some raw matieral would remain.I now use very small picses and I use skewers to target feed only the fish that like it.The clean up crew (Hermit crabs) did not seem to consume the left overs?

The clean up crew will get some of it. Have you tried one of those veggie clips, just remove the clip and toss what they didn't eat. I think fresh seafood is probably better than frozen, as there probably aren't as many phosphates in it as there are in frozen.

Yeah I use one of those veggie clips. they tend to eat it all within 24 hours.

Yea.I will get a veggi clip or two with my next on line purchase.Thanks agian everyone for all the advise.It`s comforting to know your not alone.With all the money one puts out in this wonderful hobby one could be discouraged very quickly,with out this kind of support system.Thanks agian.My problem will just take some time to cure,and thats part of the lure of this.If everything went perfict then there would be no challange and no reward.

Back
Top Bottom