Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-31-2014, 03:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you just feed less and eliminate the source, it will go away. A blackout will help at first but it will come back. Cut back on the lighting hours, feed less and more water changes and it should knock out whatever your dealing with. Siphon your rock when you do your water changes.

Old 01-31-2014, 05:17 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had a bit a while ago. I just blew it off with a power head and did a water change. I also upped my water change from every other week to every week for a month and I think that did the trick.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:02 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

A lot of people may disagree with my following post, but its just a suggestion. There is an additive called ChemiClean. Its a bacteria remover and red slime is a cyanobacteria. You add it to the tank, do a water change after 48 hours, and then repeat the process. The first time I battle the red slime, it took over EVERYTHING in my tank. By the end of day 4 after starting this stuff, there was none of it left. It completely wiped out the problem. My fish and corals were not harmed at all. I actually think it helped nurse some life back in to my hippo tang.

Sent from my XT1080 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 01-31-2014, 01:01 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nutrient export is the #1 way to end it. Too many nutrients is why its there to begin with. Do larger, more frequent water changes and suck as much crud and cyano out as you can, clean EVERYTHING, skimmer, powerheads, filters, heater ect. Anything that's not spotless, clean it. The addition of a reactor with GFO or Phosguard will help tremendously as well, I can give you more info on how to go about that if you wish to do so. Flow comes into the mix as well, cyano tends to like lower flow areas.

Keep at it with what I said above and the problem will go away, it takes time to over come cyano, the key is patience and persistence. Blackouts, chemiclean, stuff like that is a temporary fix, it doesn't get the source, not to mention countless tank wipe out stories from using chemiclean.. cyano will not stop coming back until all the nutrients its thriving on are gone, simple as that.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:05 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I scrub my rocks with a new cheap toothbrush...
Old 01-31-2014, 01:08 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post
I scrub my rocks with a new cheap toothbrush...
Only problem there is that the cyano has absorbed the excess phosphates, so unless its removed from the tank the problem is still there. Brushing it of the rock only relocates it.
Old 01-31-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00youknowit00 View Post
Only problem there is that the cyano has absorbed the excess phosphates, so unless its removed from the tank the problem is still there. Brushing it of the rock only relocates it.
Then I would run a cheap powerfull HOB filter while scrubbing rocks as I do when I scrub them...

Just run it for 24 hrs...
Old 01-31-2014, 01:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvincent View Post

Then I would run a cheap powerfull HOB filter while scrubbing rocks as I do when I scrub them...

Just run it for 24 hrs...
Our just siphon it out, immediate removal. Even with an hob, a lot will be left in the tank
Old 01-31-2014, 02:07 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

In my case I used a 45g filter for cleaning algae of the 20g tank... But yeah, some algae will go under rock and will remain unacessible the time it release it's nitrates/PO4.

Tags
algae, live, live rock, red, red slime, rock, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com