Red slime algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

savannafish

Aquarium Advice Activist
My 20 gallon saltwater tank that has 2 seahorses and a pipe fish, and is overrun with red slime algae. I just don't know what to do with it anymore. I have taken everything out of the tank scrubbed it down numerous times put it back in the tank, it will grow back two days later. Is there some type of solution I can put in the tank that will prevent it from growing? What could be the reason why it all of a sudden started growing, because I have absolutely no idea. It's gotten to the point where it sometimes gets stuck on the sea horses tails and it gets me worried. Any ideas?Image1494507174.922785.jpg

Cyanobacteria is a sign of nutrients in the water column that thrives in low flow. Due to the sea horses needing to live in low flow areas, you will need to address the nutrients. Large water changes with ro/di water along with manual removal.

Cyanobacteria is a sign of nutrients in the water column that thrives in low flow. Due to the sea horses needing to live in low flow areas, you will need to address the nutrients. Large water changes with ro/di water along with manual removal.

Ok, more scrubbing :(... do u It will ever go away?

If there aren't nutrients in the water column, it will have nothing to consume. It just takes time.
Think of it like this, if you had nitrates at 100 and did a 50% water change you would still have nitrates of 50. It can take a lengthy period of time with the large ro/di water changes to get that number down to 0. It can get quite frustrating due to this, but patience and persistence solves the problem.

If there aren't nutrients in the water column, it will have nothing to consume. It just takes time.
Think of it like this, if you had nitrates at 100 and did a 50% water change you would still have nitrates of 50. It can take a lengthy period of time with the large ro/di water changes to get that number down to 0. It can get quite frustrating due to this, but patience and persistence solves the problem.

Alrighty, sounds good thank you!

Back
Top Bottom