Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-13-2003, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Red slime algae SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have recently had a bad case of red slime algae(Cyano Bacteria), and I have a solution. I went to the store and found a new product by Ultralife reef products. Its called Red Slime Remover. It works wonders . I did one treatment at night and I got up the next morning and there was no trace of red slime. It's truly an amazing product. It is a bit pricey though. Here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, it cost me $26.99. It is really worth it. It's about time that a company came out with a great product that works. Oh, it is safe to use on tanks with invertebrates and corals too. Amazing, just amazing!!!!!!!!!!

Don't tap on the glass, the fish will think you are stupid!!
something_fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, not sure how new it is in canada, but it's been available here in the USA for several years. I personally don't like using the stuff, it is treating the symptoms rather than the problem, this can actually keep you from determining the root of the problem. I personally go for a more natural solution, but I hope it works out for you. There are certain instances where I think it would be of benefit, really depends on the circumstances.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:29 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
thanks for the product tip, iv got some in my tank and have been taking it out manualy, ill have too try that stuff out.
e-cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #4
Yes, great cosmetic fix for the dreaded Red Slime... The problem is, is that it does not provide a solution... Think of it as spraying bleach on mold & mildew on your tile in the bath or shower... It disappears, yes. However, the problem still lies in that the moisture that causes it is still there, and it will return...

Red Slime is caused by excess nutrients such as Phosphate (PO4), and Nitrate (NO3). It is also said that it thrives on other things such as Silicates, low water flow, high lit areas, low lit areas, bad bulbs, etc... The main solutions to red slime is frequent water changes, feeding sparingly, siphoning it out everyday, and skimming like there is no tomorrow... If you don't get to the root of where it is coming from, it will return to haunt you again and again..
Old 10-13-2003, 04:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
i think mine is from my light as its only under one of the three bulbs and its an older bulb , mabey that has some thing too do with it.
e-cat is offline   Reply With Quote

algae, red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com