red slime algea help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmaglione

Aquarium Advice Regular
All I have a well establihed 2 year old tank. I am again barreling red slime algea , a battle I have bot fought. In a year. I am struggling this time to identify the cause. My t5 bulbs are only 6 months old with 12 hours daily, I have plenty of flow with power heads and just replaced my filter carbon. Phosphates are at .25. I know that the algea is caused by an abundance of nutrients but have done water changes and had my skimmer working fine. I'm not sure why it keeps comming back. I am not over feeding either, so I can't thin k of why i would be getting it continuously. Any ideas for help? It's a reef aquarium rescently ph and calcium was low I have been getting that up. Slime keeps comming back. I just blow it off of rocks with the power head and let the filter pick up the floaters. Ideas?

No I thought that corals needed the 12 hours then 12 hour break in order to support photosynthesis. This has always worked for me. I know that of the bulbs are. Going bad they drip into the violet light range that algea love to grow in but my lfs said at 6 months old the bulbs should be fine.

Phosphates cause cyano. Test your mixing water, if it has phos, change it. Use water that doesn't have phosphates, water change, and cut back on your lighting. Cut back to 6 hours a day and dose vodka. This is a sure fire way to get rid of the cyano.

GlassBox said:
Phosphates cause cyano. Test your mixing water, if it has phos, change it. Use water that doesn't have phosphates, water change, and cut back on your lighting. Cut back to 6 hours a day and dose vodka. This is a sure fire way to get rid of the cyano.

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Sure it will kill the cyano, AND MY CORAL! You should be banned from this site for giving information like that, the noobs might believe you!

Were you dropped on your head as a child? Sure it will kill the cyano, AND MY CORAL! You should be banned from this site for giving information like that, the noobs might believe you!

When you say "it" will kill my coral, you should be more specific. I gave you two pieces of advice. If your referring to vodka dosing, heres two links to support it.

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com
Melevsreef.com - Dosing Vodka to Lower Nitrate & Phosphate

If you were referring to 6 hours a day of lighting for your coral, I guess I should of asked how many bulbs, length/output your running. If you have to run them for 12 hours a day, your lighting is insufficient as it is. Any hardcore reefer will tell you 12 hours of light is over the top. 8 hours is average. I sucessfully kept a reef (sps/lps/inverts/softies) with a 6 hour light cycle. I was also using leds with a par value of 180. I would like to help you, but not for your sake and your childish response, but for your reefs sake. So to assess the situation, you might want to answer these questions as they will help determine a solution.

How many bulbs are you using? What is the bulb wattage? Do they have individual reflectors? What color spectrum is each of the bulbs? How old are they? What are your water parameters? Do you run a refugium? Where are you getting your water from (are you using a rodi unit/tap water/natural sea water)? How many fish do you have? How often do you feed? How often do you do water changes? What precentage do you do water changes?

Hi there i also had the same problem i used a product called red slime remover and it worked a treat i also use algone sachets in my canister filter for nitrate removel and i havent seen a trace of the slime again i actullay think that these two products are made in the usa it worked for me give it a go i know how ugly this makes the tank look and gets very massy to good luck ......

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Phosphates? No good...hopefully you are using reverse osmosis water. I buy my water from the local pet store or petco. petco sells premixed saltwater, Phosphate-free!

Yea i buy mine ready mixed and were i work has it's own ro unit so i get rodi water for free . I read that the phos levels were 25 i use a salifert phos test kit on my tank and it always reads 0 which means good on this chart if it reads anything over 0.2 it means coral groth retarted i take it that all the test kit charts are different in readings as such .....?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Back
Top Bottom