Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I had this problem also. Things to know you have to many nutrients in ur tank. Do you have a skimmer if not its prolly best to get one. If you do run in just a slighty wet so the extra food will hurry up and get out of your system. Dry will take it a little longer. Use rodi water. Water straight from the sink can have extra nutrition in it. You can sometime buy it at a lfs. Gfo reactor will help bulf reef supply has a dual reactor with carbon and gro chambers for around 75 bucks. Do 3 days with no light if you have coral it will be fine. If any coral dies then they were on the verge of death prolly do to the water quality of the high nutrients causing other problems to ur parameters. Feed every other day or every 2 days. This could be the root of ur problem I just found this out also. I fed twice a day everyday and I was told u only need to feed every other day. This helps. Trying to do as many things at once seemed to do the trick. Atleast what you can. Bc idk what u have and what u dont have. The cynao is most likely consuming all of ur phosphates so if it says there in check thats why. Ur getting false readings. Keep an eye on the nitrates as well. More than likely its going to be to much food to often not rinsing food with rodi then drainifn the food before serving it. Or not using an rodi maybe needs new filters if u have one. Do u think ur tank could be over stocked?

Old 07-18-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Also increased water flow I see u have powerheads. Put one high the other low and at different angles. U can get red slime in dead spots often. Do ur 15% water change every week with rodi water make sure u siphone the sand really well. The chemi cure works my friend used it then it came back he never found the actual source. The problem can come from ur lights if u have old bulbs depending on ur light the spectrum can change over time especially bulbs u have to change every 7 to 8 months. But if u use chemi cure be sure to have an air pump. It pulls alot of oxygen out of the tank when using this medicine. And it being a saltwater tank its alrdy low in oxygen. Remeber this stuff is a quick fix the problem will occur again if you dont figure out the source. It may seem that u cant figure the problem out but you will. This is part of the hobby and how you go from a novice reefer to an expert and thats detecting problems fixing them and eliminating them for the future. As well as havibg fun and getting more knowledgeable of all the aspects in the saltwater tank community

Old 07-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I remember when I first started my tank I had the same problem. I fixed it by adding a sand sifting starfish and a ton of nassarius snails. The algae went away a week after on its own.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiem1 View Post
I remember when I first started my tank I had the same problem. I fixed it by adding a sand sifting starfish and a ton of nassarius snails. The algae went away a week after on its own.
Neither of which eat cyanobacteria. An amazing coincidence.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM   #15

My friend told me to use them and I was really surprised that it actually worked! Haven't had a problem with it since.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:36 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Whatever happened in your tank had nothing to do with snails and starfish.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #17

When I did my water changes I also did try to syphon as much out as possible.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well then, there's your solution. Water changes which remove excess nutrients, and vacuuming out the cyano. Make sure your nassarius snails have food. they are carnivores and need meaty foods to survive.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:13 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If your snails dont have enough food and die will they become extra nutrition in the way? Could that possibly cause cynao if that happened?
Old 07-23-2013, 04:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Cyano.*

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com