Red slime amgae (Cyano)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulm7373

Aquarium Advice Freak
As you can see from these pictures, I have a bad case of red slime algae in my 50g saltwater tank. I will try scooping it all up but, apart from doing that, what is the best way to remove it and prevent it from forming again? Is it toxic for livestock / water quality? Thanks!

Attachments

• image-3548758521.jpg
    image-3548758521.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image-291267814.jpg
    image-291267814.jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 160
  • image-3935964517.jpg
    image-3935964517.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 133
Is the tank quite new? I had a bad case in the first 4 months or so in my 55g but a few weeks later and it was gone, never to return again. Just check how often and how much you feed? How long are your lights on every day?

My son used it as well. Disappeared and have not seen any since. Single treatment on 72 gallon.

I've had it on and off over the last few years on this tank or that. I usually use the chemiclean and it disappears within a day or two. You can use it to get rid of your problem but you really will have to address the issue so it does not come back after it's gone.

Is the tank quite new? I had a bad case in the first 4 months or so in my 55g but a few weeks later and it was gone, never to return again. Just check how often and how much you feed? How long are your lights on every day?

The tank has been established and running for about 8 months, so not really that new. I only feed once a day at night and the lights are on for around 7 hours a day, which I didn't think was too bad.

Whatever you put in the tank must be removed somehow or it will build up and cause you issues. Just because the food was eaten, does not mean it's "gone". Think about your nutrient export. What are you doing to remove what you are putting in?

I 've tried to fight off the ciano algae for months, without success. So I installed a siphon on the drain line in order to keep the aspiration at the sand level,on the oposite side of the blowers( power heads). It is completely gone!
Be sure of drilling a small hole at the top elbow, to avoid siphoning all the water to the sump in case of pump failure.This will not afect the suction of the waste ,but will allow air to penetrate in the pipe,breaking the siphonif the level falls down.

I had this problem also. Things to know you have to many nutrients in ur tank. Do you have a skimmer if not its prolly best to get one. If you do run in just a slighty wet so the extra food will hurry up and get out of your system. Dry will take it a little longer. Use rodi water. Water straight from the sink can have extra nutrition in it. You can sometime buy it at a lfs. Gfo reactor will help bulf reef supply has a dual reactor with carbon and gro chambers for around 75 bucks. Do 3 days with no light if you have coral it will be fine. If any coral dies then they were on the verge of death prolly do to the water quality of the high nutrients causing other problems to ur parameters. Feed every other day or every 2 days. This could be the root of ur problem I just found this out also. I fed twice a day everyday and I was told u only need to feed every other day. This helps. Trying to do as many things at once seemed to do the trick. Atleast what you can. Bc idk what u have and what u dont have. The cynao is most likely consuming all of ur phosphates so if it says there in check thats why. Ur getting false readings. Keep an eye on the nitrates as well. More than likely its going to be to much food to often not rinsing food with rodi then drainifn the food before serving it. Or not using an rodi maybe needs new filters if u have one. Do u think ur tank could be over stocked?

Also increased water flow I see u have powerheads. Put one high the other low and at different angles. U can get red slime in dead spots often. Do ur 15% water change every week with rodi water make sure u siphone the sand really well. The chemi cure works my friend used it then it came back he never found the actual source. The problem can come from ur lights if u have old bulbs depending on ur light the spectrum can change over time especially bulbs u have to change every 7 to 8 months. But if u use chemi cure be sure to have an air pump. It pulls alot of oxygen out of the tank when using this medicine. And it being a saltwater tank its alrdy low in oxygen. Remeber this stuff is a quick fix the problem will occur again if you dont figure out the source. It may seem that u cant figure the problem out but you will. This is part of the hobby and how you go from a novice reefer to an expert and thats detecting problems fixing them and eliminating them for the future. As well as havibg fun and getting more knowledgeable of all the aspects in the saltwater tank community

I remember when I first started my tank I had the same problem. I fixed it by adding a sand sifting starfish and a ton of nassarius snails. The algae went away a week after on its own.

I remember when I first started my tank I had the same problem. I fixed it by adding a sand sifting starfish and a ton of nassarius snails. The algae went away a week after on its own.
Neither of which eat cyanobacteria. An amazing coincidence.

My friend told me to use them and I was really surprised that it actually worked! Haven't had a problem with it since.

When I did my water changes I also did try to syphon as much out as possible.

Well then, there's your solution. Water changes which remove excess nutrients, and vacuuming out the cyano. Make sure your nassarius snails have food. they are carnivores and need meaty foods to survive.

If your snails dont have enough food and die will they become extra nutrition in the way? Could that possibly cause cynao if that happened?

Back
Top Bottom