red Slime Followup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zapdbf

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi thanks for the advice about the sea slime, i want all of you to read the e-mail i sent to my lfs about this situation. (thought u would like to read it)

I am disappointed with the advice I am getting from your stores.

I purchased a 65 gal(saltwater) tank setup about a year ago, and three months into
the use all my fish died ... ok something wrong with what I did. so I asked questions about my problems and the answers I got was to purchase conditioning product ect ...

I was disappointed after spending so much money and getting nothing ... but again I realized it was probably something I did or did not do. so in an effort to educate myself I found some websites and advice from web forums. and I had felt I had learned allot. And was ready to try again in October.

Following the advice, I started my tank back in October and purchased fish from you in a proper way as to prevent stress and applied allot of the advice I got on the forums.

Things were going along quite well until I got an infestation of red sea slime.
I went to your store and asked what I could do about this. they sold me a product to remove the red slime. But the devil was in the missing details, after using this product I had a terrible ammonia spike, my live rock turned bleach white, and for two weeks I battled >8 ppm ammonia levels. doing massive water changes every day and dumping bacteria in the tank I finally got it under control after asking web users how to fix my tank.

To this point including the sea slime fiasco, my feeling about your advice was still good because it could be she did not know about the problem or some other reason was the cause of the ammonia spike. (although the web forum users blamed the antibiotic I was sold)

This last episode finally tought me that I cannot trust anything your employees tell me and I will never trust them again!

Last night a power surge and power outage caused my pump in a filtering system to fail. I knew what I needed a pump that would rise 6 ft and have a gph of at least 300. so I went to your store in Sidney and asked them what I could use to replace this pump, I was sold a Penguin 1140 submersible power head, wanting to increase the flow though my filter I really wanted about 500 gph, so since the largest you had was a 300 gph I purchased two to put in the bottom of the filtration system. (please bear in mind I had an emergency and had to get the system working again) when I got home (about an hour away) and installed the pumps the pumps would not raze the water above 3 feet. Now I am red with anger because I just spent over $100 and my problem was not solved.

Let me summarize my experience with your stores.
* Questionable to bad advice
* Higher priced supplies than what I can find on the internet.

Why did I stick with you -- Because I though you cared about your customers.

Now here is my experience with the Internet
* Much Better advice from Web Forums !
* Cheaper prices on the same products.
So The internet gives me better advice and cheaper product, it seem that the faceless internet cares more about me than you do.

Back
Top Bottom