Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-29-2004, 09:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
I don't think the seaclone skimmer is big enough for a 55gallon tank. I could be wrong though.
But let me ask, how much skimmate do you get in a weeks time? I had cyano problems with another brand of inefficient skimmer, and when I switched to a better brand/model, not only did I get 3x more skimmate, but my cyano went away without any other changes to the tank.

Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:32 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
If you have just one powerhead, I would add a bigger one or have more than one. I was using 3 maxijet 1200 in my 75 plus the mag 7 return pump from my sump. You still have a source for the PO4 though. I got rid of mine when I redid my aquascaping and changed out my DI filter on my RO unit. I kept getting a PO4 reading from my RO/DI water.

I figure it had to be the DI filter so if you RO water tests ok then this might be tough. I added 3 fighting conchs which are supposed to eat slime algae too.

Just keep at it. I thought mine would never go away but it did

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 07:54 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I had that same problem I was recomended Poly-Ox 3 drops for every gal. it takes time but it works the red slime forms bubbles and then you suck it out, GOOD LUCK.

Ada Caro
adacaro is offline   Reply With Quote

red slime, slime

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com