Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2006, 10:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thank you seaham358 , tctfish, yes i do read but my problem is i am listening to th lfs. this is why i am here, i want to have a fantastic tank and i am willing to learn and make it right.

all of the fish in my tank are herbavors, and the seahorse is the only carnavor. the seahorse is tank raised. this is why i thought he would be fine in my tank.

and a word about the sea slime, i read on a website that it will overrun the good bateria, unfotuinatly i did not realize this soon enough. (mistake)

It is hard not to make mistakes untill you get the hands on. sofar tonight all seem well yet.

ok here is the plan, i have 16 gal of salt water aging, this is all i have at this point because i only use ro water and have to purchace it and i have not had the chance to get enought for a 30 gal change yet. i want to do a 16 gal change tomarow ( not sure if that is long enough to age but this is the best i can do now) i will add some more ammo lock and some more cycle to the tank. then get another 20 gal of ro and let it age to sunday and do a 20 gal change.

i am going to test my tank now i will post the stats, yes i have po4 test kit i will test this

Old 02-17-2006, 10:42 PM   #12

here are the stats as of tonight
no2 .1 ppm
ph 8.2
nh3 .75 ppm
no3 5 ppm
po4 1.0 ppm
sg 1.022
tank size 65 gal
canister filter
skimmer
been in successful opperaton for 6 months(until now)

Old 02-17-2006, 10:49 PM   #13

i noticed that my no3 is down, does'nt that indicate the lack of bio activity ?
Old 02-17-2006, 10:55 PM   #14

i think i will need to purchace some more lr.
Old 02-18-2006, 01:08 AM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Cyno does not kill off bacteria.
Cyano itself does not kill good denitrifying bacteria, but alot of the products that are sold to combat cyano, contain antibiotics, which do kill off the denitrifying bacteria.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #16

ok i have completd a 30 gal water change here are the stats

no2 < .1 ppm
no3 5 ppm
ph 8.0
nh3 .30 ppm
sg 1.020
now i was going to use a product to put the ph back to 8.2 but i read the instructions
and it said that if ammo is present that rasing the ph will cause the ammo to become more toxic. so i decided not to use this yet. And just let the ph be as it is for a while

The next step i want to take is to use more ammo lock, to help seal it, then durring this week do a 2 gal water change each day.

So far the fish seem ok they are eating quite well. although the coral start seems to be showning signs of problems, turning brown shrinking around the edges.

one concirn is that i had a 3 degree shift durring the water change durring the change the water temp fell to 74.0 from 77.1 after water change within about 5 hours the temp came back to 76.5.

so the delta of the water change is as follows.
no2 0 ppm 0% change
no3 0 ppm 0% change
ph -.1
nh3 -.45 ppm 40% change
sg -.002

1. Does my plan sound ok ?
2. What else should i be doing that i am missing?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:41 AM   #17

i also put another 12 pounds of lr in my tank (cured)
Old 02-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good call on the pH, but to get a true reading of ammonia, stop using the Ammo-Lock at this point. Ammo Lock has it's use and is good for it's purpose. Right now however, you'd be better off to start dosing a bio additive like NitroMax Marine in its place for a couple of weeks. Once ammonia is at a safe level, then tend to the pH. It is a natural reaction for pH to go down as ammonia levels go up. With this in mind, whenever pH is low, it's a good idea to test for ammonia.

There are natural fluctuations of temps normally. Though a few degree difference can be felt by fish, I wouldn't worry much over three degrees over a period of time. Ich seems to be what most fish break out with when the temps change suddenly and that's only if ich are present in the aquarium. For any concerns, you could opt to offer garlic soaked food about once or twice a week for about two weeks. Some people offer garlic soaked food on a regular basis..usually once a week as a way to prevent external parasites from wanting to latch onto the fish. A lot of little critters do not like garlic, just as fleas don't and I just found out that ants don't like garlic either. They stay clear away from it. SeaChem and Kent Marine have these garlic additives.

The oceans surely would swallow us before a rock comes down to smite the planet of it's life.
Nov/2004
TCTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 12:24 PM   #19

TCTFish isn't cycle the same thing(well close), i did a web search on nitromax and it looks like it comes in two bottles, one for nitrifing bacteria, and one with oxygenating bacteria.

Obviously you feel this is a better product, - do you have any reasons that you beleve this ?

I'm not saying it isn't but i am just trying to get as much info as i can. in othe words what does nitromax have over cycle?
Old 02-19-2006, 12:26 PM   #20

btw i have not put the ammo lock in yet, still getting ideas.

I did hear some chatter about garlic, but i did not realize it was used for this purpose. i thought it was used to get a fish to eat. If it can prevent ick i will do this reguraly!

Is there a recomendation on how to prepair this ? (any links that offer good information would be great)

Tags
red slime, slime, stress, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com