Red slimmy algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kae_shields

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had my 65 gal running several months, I do regular water changes, and I still get this red slimy junk that I belive is algae floating and clinging to my protein skimmer outflow resivor. How do I get rid of it and is it harmful? I assume it's just a type of algae, but I have no idea.

I think he is right on the money..your looking at cyno bacteria...usually caused from cilicates or P04 in the water. A poly filter will pull both out of the water column pretty effectively. You can also use a P04 sponge.

Oh...water changes water changes water changes.

Speaking of...what kind of water do you use?

Squishy

occasionally I use tap (i know it's bad to do, so i very rarely use it)

I would be that would be part of the problem. Cynao is usually the result of poor water flow and increased nutrient import. Take away the nutrient (i.e. tap water) and I think you will find that it will begin to disappear.

try phos guard by sea chem or kents version. it wil remove phosphates and silicates as well as things that carbon will. get rid of carbon. buy a phosphate test. follow the instuctions on the can and test your water every other day. you will see the phosphate level drop and after some time it will start to rise again. keep track of this and use it to come up with a schedule for replacing with new without testing all the time.
for instance i replace my phosguard once a month. my tank is eighty gallons and i use 300g at a time. this costs me 7$ a month. not to bad. it keeps my phosphate levels below 0.1 ppm.
my cyano problem cleared up in about 30 days. use a new tooth brush and water change to remove dead (dormant?) cyano. dont try to do it all at one time. take your time, a little bit each week.

i have a very similar problem but i have a newly started reef/fish tank 150 gallons
that phosphate Stuff can only be left in for two days at a time is that correct and will that have to be done All The Time To Keep the level down ?????

i have a very similar problem but i have a newly started reef/fish tank 150 gallons
that phosphate Stuff can only be left in for two days at a time is that correct and will that have to be done All The Time To Keep the level down ?????

it depends on the brand i know that kent, seachem, tropicmarin and two little fishies allow you to keep it in as long as you like. they say it will not leach back out. but the best thing to do is follow the manufactures instructions.

to answer your second question; i dont know. but i do know this. i want my phosphates and silicates as low as possible so im using phosguard full time. i can tell when its exausted just by looking at the few tufts of hair algae lying around.

by the way sea chem is the best priced and they give you more than they have listed. a 600g can actualy has 900g in it.

Back
Top Bottom