Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2006, 11:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Red velvet substance all over live rock.

I need some help. I have a 65 gallon tank about 9 months now. Recently I have this red substance that looks like velvet all over the live rock. I try to remove it but it seems that when it hits the air it turns to liquid. No matter haow many times I remove it, it comes back. I have about 30 pounds of live rock in the tank. The fish do not seem to be affected. How do I get ris of it? someone suggested a skimmer and some more critters that will clean it?

angie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:44 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Sounds like cyanobacteria. It's usually due to exess nutrients in the tank and high phosphates. Water changes and plenty of them will help lower your numbers and kill of the cyano. Here is an article on what causes it and how to defeat it. HTH

Oh, and welcome to Aquarium Advice.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:45 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
My bet is that it is cyano. If you can rub it off with your finger it is most likely cyano. I have a break out that i am trying to control by pwc's every 2nd day. My snails (margarita and astrea) are eating it but that is not a great solution as it isn't going to the root of the problem which is usually po4 in the water. I know these questions will be asked by others so i will ask. 1.) What type of water are you using (tap, RO or RO/DI)? 2.) How often do you do water changes?
65 gal reef
2 PC's 192W each , 20 gal sump/fuge
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 12:59 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to Civicman86
Also water flow can help cyano. I had it in my old 10gallon. I added one more PH and never saw it again.

Pics and specs coming soon...
Civicman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
info on your set would help.. sounds like cyno bacteria/ red slime.

tanks size, lighting, flow, what type of water do you use.. Test for PO4, Nitrates and post results.
9/02-125 REEF, 125 lbs LR,LS 4x160 VHO, Reef Devil /Sump, Fuge
7/03-55 FOWLR 60lb LR, 50 lb SD sand 2x40 NO strip light, Reef Devil/sump, Fuge

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

live, live rock, rock, substance, tan, velvet

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com